Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fan Sticks On.... Need Help  (Read 4650 times)

StudDonK

Fan Sticks On.... Need Help
« on: July 12, 2007, 12:40:20 PM »
I have an HP Desktop computer, with Windows XP. It's probably about 3-4 years old.

For some reason, when I turn the computer on, the fan sticks on. The fan always turns on, for about 10 sec or? but then turns off and the computer continues to start up. Instead, the fan stays running, and the light on the monitor turns orange/yellow. I've read through the troubleshooting book, and it said something about the computer being in Hibernation mode, but I don't know how that can be, because I'm just turning the computer on.

Any idea how I can fix this? I've unplugged the computer, let it sit, then tried again over and over, probably at least 10 times, but it does the samething everytime.

Please help!

Thanks,

-Jack

The Saviour

Re: Fan Sticks On.... Need Help
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
The computer could be overheating...or there may be another hardware issue.

Are the vents and case free of dust and debris?

It would help if we knew the model of your HP.  Also, have you made any recent hardware or software changes?

Please post back...

StudDonK

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »
The fan isn't blocked, and there's really no dust in there. I don't think any updates have done lately (edit: maybe a Windows Auto Update)

Idk the model of the computer, because it's not mine, it's a friends and they just called me asking for help. I'll have to call them back and ask.

And by model, what do you mean? Where do I find that info?

The Saviour

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »
Manufacturer:  HP
Model:  Pavillion XXXXX

Where X's are the model number...

StudDonK

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 04:38:34 PM »
Manufacturer:  HP
Model:  Pavillion CNC3360Y80

So I took the back panel off, and cleaned the fan off and stuff. I got on the phone with HP Support, and they said it's probably a fan malfunction, and that I can ship it to them and get it all fixed for $199.99, but I really don't want to do that lol. I honestly have no idea what else it could be. I've tried everything. unplugged cords, tried a different wall outlet, just everything. The thing is, my computer worked fine last night, and then today when I went to turn it on, this all just happened...it just seems odd to me.

Anyway, if you have any ideas, let me know.

-Jack

The Saviour

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 06:48:49 PM »
Well...now we know it's a Pavillion, however the model number you supplied is not a valid one.

Example of an HP model:  Pavilion 7955

Eventually, hardware will fail...however, try this...

Press and hold the power button in until the computer shuts itself off.  Power on again and post your results...don't forget the correct model number of your HP.

StudDonK

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 11:23:15 PM »
They've tried that, and restarted it, and the samething happens. I'll have to wait until morning to call them again and ask for the correct model number.

Just curious, but how can the model number help out?

The Saviour

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 06:19:43 AM »
Knowing the model number can help with diagnostics...

Anyway...there are several things that may be causing this and you have to rule out all of them.

The problem could be a failing power supply, bad memory, motherboard, etc., etc.

The first thing you should try is turning the computer off and unplug the power cord from the wall socket.

Disconnect all other peripheral cables as well.

Open the case, make sure you're grounded and remove all cards installed, as well as memory sticks.  Disconnect power and cables to all drives.

Plug your computer back in and power it up...look for a green led on the motherboard.  Let us know if you see this light.

Also make note of any sounds (beeps) coming from your computer.

Power off and unplug your computer.  Insert one of your memory sticks in the slot closest to the CPU.  Plug it in and power it on.  Any beeps?  Do the same for each additional memory stick.  Note any beeps.

Power your computer back off, unplug it and begin reconnecting your drives, one at a time.  After each drive reconnect, power on your computer and note any sounds or behaviors.  Power off and unplug computer after each drive is reattached...noting any sounds and/or behaviors...do the same for the cards as well.

Note:  when removing any drives, cards, or memory sticks...look for loose or bad connections.  Dirty pins on cards and memory can be cleaned using a pencil eraser.  Blow the card slots out using compressed air and make sure the memory and cards are properly seated when you put them back in.

Please keep us posted...

StudDonK

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 12:04:22 PM »
Like I said before, It's not my computer, it's a friends, so until the next time I go over their, It'll have to wait before taking it apart.

I've unplugged the power cord from the wall and all of that, and I don't seem to hear any odd beeps when it's turned back on.

Just wondering about taking stuff apart inside the computer. Is it hard? I've never really went into the inside of the computer to mess around with it.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated, and thanks a lot for the help!

-Jack

StudDonK

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 01:37:19 PM »
Ok, so I got the right number.

Model #: A305W
System#: DM181A

I talked to a guy from a computer shop, and he rules out a power supply problem, because he says if there was something wrong with the power supply, the fan wouldn't work at all.

I'm pretty convinced it's the motherboard. I'll probably take it to this shop, and he says he can do a diagnostic check on it for $25. So I'll probably do that, and If I find out it's the motherboard, I'll buy one, and install it myself, because this guy says it would cost like $200, which is bs lol.

Any idea where I can find the right motherboard for this computer (if that is the problem)

Thanks,

-Jack

The Saviour

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 05:19:20 PM »
Before you go spending money on the motherboard...take a look here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?rule=7756&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=362754&lang=en

See which issue best fits your problem and try their recommendations first.

Please post back with any new concerns or issues.

StudDonK

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 09:53:08 PM »
Okay, so I used that link, went through some of the things, but nothing looks really comparable to my problem.

I talked to HP live support online, and It looks like I'll probalby just buy a new tower for around $300. I really don't use my computer for much more than the occasional homework, playing poker, and chatting.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

StudDonK

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 01:52:55 AM »
Thanks so much Savior. That link helped a lot. I told him to reboot the BIOS by hitting F1 and whatever else it was, and to turn the power off, unplug it, and hold in the power but for 5 sec while it was unplugged. Anyway, he called me like an hour ago and told me he got it to work, so I'm really glad to hear that.

I guess it restarted unexpectedly a few times, but has been working well now for a good hour or so.

Thanks for the help, I'll definetely refer anyone I know that has computer problems, to this site for help!

Thanks again,

-Jack

The Saviour

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 06:31:08 AM »
You're welcome...

It's always nice to hear when a problem gets resolved.

Thanks in advance for referring new visitors to Computer Hope.

StudDonK

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 01:02:17 PM »
Well, he called me back, and said it's broke again. He was able to get it going, but then it would automatically restart, and now, its back to not even starting. Could this be from a virus?