Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power light flashes  (Read 3786 times)

kyfarmer59

Power light flashes
« on: July 19, 2007, 02:54:23 PM »
My HP Pavillion a400n power light flashes but computer will not power up or boot.  Is it possible that I got a virus?  I had Norton installed on it and the other computer which s hooked up to it via wireless is still working with no problems.

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Power light flashes
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 03:49:32 PM »
    If it won't power up at all its definitely not a virus but a hardware issue. What happens when you press the power button? Does it make any noises like fans or harddrives spinning up or is it just dead?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:23:44 AM »
      I would recommend checking and testing the Power Supply Unit,
      take the cover of try and boot check out any fans see if they just twitch, check out the exhaust fan from the PSU see if it actually works,

if a replacement PSU is required, measure the dimensions of the one installed, as sometimes in HP, Compaq  and Dell they are smaller than a standard unit and may require ordering in.
      Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

beanhead07

Hopeful
        « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 02:34:58 PM »
        I had a very similar problem just the other day at work I had a Dell Optiplex that wouldn't boot up instead the power button just had an amber light flashing, so I contacted Dell Support and they told me my PSU fan wasn't working. (i'd already tested the PSU and the voltage was fine and the memory was fine) so I took it apart and opened up the PSU and checked the fan and it was working fine. So I got back on chat with Dell support and halfway through our conversation the computer just booted up all on it's own for some odd reason... it's been working fine ever since. I have no idea what was wrong with it or what fixed it, it just worked. lol so all that to say it sounds kinda like the problem I faced but I don't know how to fix it. I guess this was more of a sympathy post. lol Make sure the PSU is working properly and the memory is seated well.
        If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

kyfarmer59

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 05:26:55 AM »
        If it won't power up at all its definitely not a virus but a hardware issue. What happens when you press the power button? Does it make any noises like fans or harddrives spinning up or is it just dead?
        Nothing, it's dead but the power button flashes.  I also switched batteries and that didn't help.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 10:35:39 AM »
        I don't recommend anyone taking a PSU apart...what batteries did you replace ? ?

Borrow a known working PSU and swap it in there to see if things improve.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "