Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer, finishes boot sequences, then goes to a screen with a few options.  (Read 3292 times)

ReTodd

OK, first off.. thank you to any one can help me and figure this out.

A couple of days ago I placed a hard drive from my old computer into a different tower, and removed the previous hard drive. The old hard drive is set as the master. When the computer is then started it goes through the boot sequence properly then goes to a screen that looks similar to the one located at this link:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000626.htm

When I select "load last known good configuration" it just goes to a black screen and the same goes for "start windows normally."

When I select any of the "safe modes", it goes through a couple of.. (*insert I have no idea here*) and then just stays on there.. doing nothing.

**Insert I have no idea here - I believe I saw something that had "partition" in it.
i.e. something/something/partition/something/something.some file type

By the way, Windows XP was previously on the hard drive and I want to keep it. I've also tried to reinstal it.. and it still just goes straight to the "load last know good config." screen after the boot sequence. I've also checked all connections like a million times... but I'm not a computer genius; that is why I'm here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Deerpark

Egghead
    You're often going to have problems if you take a windows installation out of one computer and try to boot it on a computer with completely different hardware.

But reinstalling XP should fix it. You say you've tried to reinstall XP. Did the install actually complete or did it go wrong during the install?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

ReTodd

It never even started. It goes through the boot sequence and then goes to the "safe mode, load last know good config., etc." screen. It doesn't even prompt the installation or anything.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      Set your cdrom as 1st boot device in bios then boot with the xp disk in the drive.

ReTodd

Thanks, will try. Computer is not at hand currently. I will let you know how it went asap.

ReTodd

That worked fine, thanks a lot, Fed. Much appreciation. 

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        Thanks for the feedback. :)