Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reboot & select proper boot device error  (Read 5745 times)

ng12345

Reboot & select proper boot device error
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:36:10 PM »
I bought a new hard drive and then tried to install windows xp. For some reason, when i turn on my pc, this error appears: "Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I wen't in my bios and changed my primary and secondary boot device to my cdrom and hardrive and still nothing. Ive plugged out one of my cd drives hoping it would detect my other one and still nothing. In the bios, it recongnizes the new hard drive, and both cd drives but when i put the cd in for the windows xp, nothing happens.

I have a hp pavillion, with intel pentium 4 processor, new hard drive is 500gb sata.

Richenstony

Re: Reboot & select proper boot device error
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:43:49 PM »
Ok at the very beginning of the set-up .... you can actually choose the correct device ....aka your hard drive if your press f2 (Thats what i have to use....... and then it will say loading status ok then it will load a small blue screen in the center of your screen choose boot from your HD aka the one you want to boot from .......... this is all i can think of at present , have you tried switch the HDS around in the actual computer yourself or have you even consdered not using that HD for the OS and use your os on one of the other HDS.....i have 2 HDS i booted x-p on one and left the other one without the x-p os.....runs fine....

ng12345

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 11:47:39 PM »
ive tired that and still doesn't work. As for using another hd, the one that came with the computer is really screwd up so i bought another one, and now this one can't seem to work.

Richenstony

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 11:49:24 PM »
ok ok im thinking ... did you reformat it correctly and did you choose the correct options in the windows bios ....aka slow format.......im shooting ideas at you here i recently upgraded my HD.....

libra_six

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 12:54:43 PM »
I had the same message, after I had instaled a new dvd drive I had hooked up to the same connection I had my old one in. after trying many thing in the bios, all it took was to change the connection to the power supply.. just try a diffrent plug on your power supply see if it also works for you.. after this it worked for me..