Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot View Password Protected User on Hard Drive  (Read 2172 times)

phoenixx

Cannot View Password Protected User on Hard Drive
« on: July 28, 2007, 08:37:25 AM »
I have a hard drive that I removed from a computer with a bad MoBo. I am trying to get the data off this hard drive and I can see all the data except for one user who was password protected. I have tried to put the hard drive in another box as the master but I get the error NTLDR missing. I have tried to do a repair install but when it loads the files and tries to reboot I  get the NTLDR missing error. With another master hard drive in the box, I can see all the users including the password protected one but cannot access the files because of the password and there is no place to enter it as the hard drive will not start on it's own without being the slave drive. I have tried chkdsk /r to repair the hard drive but that does not work, I still get the NTLDR missing error. I have tried BartPE to remove the password but I have to have a password in there for BartPE to work.  It will not allow you to put a blank password in it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been going on for a couple of days now.
Thanks,
Mike

contrex

Re: Cannot View Password Protected User on Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 10:50:24 AM »
try installing it as a slave drive and then, as administrator, take ownership of the passworded folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Did you mean the data is in an XP encrypted folder? In this case, if you cannot find out the password, you may as well consider the data permanently lost.