Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about software compatibility with Windows 3.11 and newer versions  (Read 4052 times)

noahatol

Hi Everyone,

I have some software (for a laboratory instrument) that was purchased ~10 years ago and runs on a pentium comuter with Windows 3.11.  However, I'm worried that the computer it runs on is gettting up in the years and could die on me at some point in the near future.  Also, newer printers don't seem to support Windows 3.11 anymore making the computer less useful to me.  The cost to update the software to run on a new version of Windows is ~$15k, which is an amount that I would like to avoid having to pay.

My question is, do new computers support software that runs on Windows 3.11?  If not, are there any relatively easy/cheap ways to resurrect software that was written for an ancient O/S to something modern?  I don't mind paying a few thousand dollars, but $15k seems excessive.

Thanks very much for any advice you guys can give me.

--Richard

unlovedwarrior

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    ummmm.... wow..... i don't know, maybe some of our senior member can help

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Windows 3.x and before ran 16-bit programs.  The newer stuff will run it but not efficiently.  I've heard that Vista won't touch 16-bit...go figure  :-X

Just had a thought  :o  If you set up a virtual machine  (M$ Virtual PC) you should be able to run 3.x and the software with it.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Deerpark

Egghead
        Yeah a virtual machine might be worth looking into. Then you can use a modern computer with a modern OS and then run windows 3.1 in a virtual machine. And MS Virtual PC is free.
        BUT you need to make sure that you're able to connect that laboratory equipment so windows on the virtual machine can find it.. that might be tricky.
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        There's always the option to stay at XP or below...not touching Vista and run it in MSDos Compatibility Mode which is in everything up to and including XP...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "