Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer making a clicking noise  (Read 3164 times)

cmattc411

Computer making a clicking noise
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:45:18 PM »
Ok my computer is making a clicking noise, to be exact its a little speaker the size of a dime on my case thats doing it.(at first I though it was my hdd but its not) When I power up nothing shows up on my monitor it simply stays black. I have been reading around and some ppl have been saying that it could be fan related, I do have 1 fan in the front (on the front of my case) that is basicly dead it barely spins at all. Is it possible that my mother board can see that this fan is screwing up and will not boot up?

JannE

Re: Computer making a clicking noise
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 07:22:25 PM »
First, you need a fan. If your CPU gets hot, you will have those problems. I have a fan on my CPU and on my hdd.

Second. Clicking is your hdd on the way out. Just because it doesn't register any problems when booting up doesn't mean it is okay. Does it do it all the time? Run a diagnostic program from your hdd manufacturer's web site. They are usually free.

An hdd can be on the way out and still be working. When it hits the sectors that are bad, you get the clicking. Been there a few times! That is why I have a few extra hdds.