Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media XP... Media Center Help  (Read 4168 times)

ahousholder

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows Media XP... Media Center Help
    « on: August 03, 2007, 02:53:35 PM »
    I'm not sure if this is the right place, feel free to move it to the right board....

A couple of months ago I had some problems with my computer and I went and restored it to factory settings.  It fixed the problem that I was having, however, now I cannot use my Media Center any more.  Now whenever I open it, I get this message:

COMPONENT REGISTRATION FAILURE
    Some of the files needed to play radio or video are missing or corrupt.  Media Center component registration may have failed.

I then push OK and get this:

CRITICAL PROCESS FAILURE
    A critical Media Center process has unexpectedly failed.  If problems persist, please restart your machine and try again, or contact technical support.  Code: 3

Also, I cannot get it to close unless I restart my computer.

I was just wondering if, when I reset my computer if it messed up the files for it.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  Should I reset it back to factory settings again?

Thanks!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows Media XP... Media Center Help
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 04:56:43 PM »
    The problem probably lies in the restore process itself...since no updates or addons are retained all you may have to do is DLoad and install the .net framework version1.1.

Info Here
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ahousholder

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 07:27:08 PM »
      Well, I tried that and I went all the way through and started running the Update Rollup 2 when I got this:

The update to media center was not successful.  The computer will now be restarted and restored to the state it was in before the update.  Please try the installation again, or contact your hardware manufacturer for assistance if the problem persists.

So now what?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 09:45:50 PM »
      Let it do it's thing then go to Add/Remove and uninstall .Net Framework and do a clean DLoad, re-boot and try re-installing it.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "