Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bad Decision=non responsive keyboard and mouse  (Read 4181 times)

scubab

Bad Decision=non responsive keyboard and mouse
« on: August 03, 2007, 06:17:40 PM »
I recently purchased a new desktop with Vista on it and I attempted to install my wireless keyboard and mouse from my previous (XP) computer.

After installation I was prompted that it has not been tested with Vista, but I stupidly chose to proceed anyway. After installing the wireless set I rebooted my computer and now that I'm at the login screen (PW required) and I can't do anything. I'm stuck using my old computer now.

My wireless mouse is nowhere to be found and my wireless keyboard syncs with the wireless hub, but not my computer. My USB keyboard and mouse do not respond at all.

I've tried:
-Powering on and off my computer using the power button on the tower, since I can't use my mouse or keyboard to power down properly
-Different batteries
-Syncing the keyboard with the hub many times
-Powering down PC and unplugging the wireless hub and USB keyboard and mouse and replugging in all but the wireless hub
-Cussing at my computer as well as myself :)

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your (hopefully) quick response!

wefr0

Re: Bad Decision=non responsive keyboard and mouse
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 07:22:21 PM »
ever think about calling microsoft? for help or the company of the mouse and keyboard no way to get into it ehh? on my PC my screen still works like there some file tat my friend made u can acces arrow keys and get a on screen board just hard to use.....

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Bad Decision=non responsive keyboard and mouse
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 02:14:24 AM »
ever think about calling microsoft? for help or the company of the mouse and keyboard no way to get into it ehh?
Thats why this forum exists, to avoid calling people, and find an alternative support.

Anyways:
Plug in your old keyboard into your new computer.
Before Windows starts, press F8 a few times (thats before you see the Windows Vista loading screen)

Select Safemode from the list.

Once you get logged in, right click "My Computer", "Properties"
On the left hand menu, select "Device Manager"
Find your USB keyboard. Uninstall the driver by double-clicking the device (Should be under "Human Interface Devices" or "Keyboards")
Select the "Drivers" Tab, and select "Uninstall"

Then, restart your computer

Plug the USB Wireless Keyboard again, and let Windows install the device without the CD provided by the manufacture.