Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Resolved: Confused - NTFS, FAT32 & Hard Drive Crashes  (Read 3377 times)

Jelx

Resolved: Confused - NTFS, FAT32 & Hard Drive Crashes
« on: August 04, 2007, 04:10:46 PM »
OK, I posted here several weeks ago about a crash my hard drive had. I wanted to recover files and thought if I put that hard drive as a primary slave drive and put a new drive as a primary master drive I would then be able to use the master to recovery files off the slave.

I've decided to make a new topic, however, because I've tried that and now I seem to have a new problem. The master drive won't work with the slave drive connected to the computer - the slave is too corrupted. Apparently the crash I got (STOP 0X00000024) is related to a problem with the NTFS system.

This article outlines my problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;228888

It says that I need a FAT32 system to deal with the problem. I'm not very computer literate - I only found out what NTFS, FAT32, etc... was a few months ago. And I just found out how to install a slave & master drive a few weeks ago, thanks to this problem. For some reason the article says I need to use Windows 2k - I don't know why. I've tried Windows 2k profession, which only installs as a NTFS system and, predictably, it didn't work.

Is Windows 2k home edition a FAT32 system? Is that what the article suggests I use? If not, why would the Microsoft article recommend I use Windows 2k, and not XP, if it's a NTFS system?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:00:58 PM by Zylstra »

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Confused - NTFS, FAT32 & Hard Drive Crashes
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 04:28:05 PM »
    The article is suggesting another windows 2000 machine because the article was written for win 2000. But the steps should still be valid for XP. You could format your new master hdd as FAT 32 and then follow the steps suggested in the guide. You'll need to reinstall XP in order to change to FAT 32.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 04:30:42 PM »
    Windows 98 and up are compatible with FAT32. Windows 95 is also compatible, but requires a special program to create it.

NTFS is more reliable, and is for Windows 2000 and up.
    Since NTFS was introduced, it has been an option in the operating system installer for 2000 and up. (At the partition screen)
    You can choose to use FAT32 instead of NTFS

FAT is commonly used on many mass storage devices still.

Are you sure its not a physical problem with the disk?

Jelx

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 04:38:10 PM »
    Thanks for the reply guys. I know Windows XP is compatible with FAT32, however from what I've been reading it looks like Windows XP makes it painstakingly hard to do it. Is there a way I can simply use Windows XP to partition a FAT32 drive without the need of a third party application? I know that "Partition Magic" lets you convert a Windows XP NTFS to a FAT32, but it's, from what I've read, very unreliable and when I tried it didn't work.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 04:46:55 PM »
    That depends, are you willing to loose your data?

If you can loose all your data, then pop the Windows XP Installation disk in, and let it load
    Once you agree to the EULA, (by pressing F8), and get to the Partition screen, delete your current partition, and then create a new one, and use the FAT32 system instead.

*Fact-O-Day*
    You will loose all your data when you delete a partition. This is not reversible.

Jelx

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 04:51:01 PM »
    I'm OK with losing my data. I haven't added anything important to it, knowing from the beginning that I was using it just to recover data off the other drive. Once this problem gets situated, however, I'll probably use it - it's better than the old drive. Right now I'm using my laptop, all my essentials are on here.

When I try using the installation disk for Windows XP it only gives me the option of setting up a NTFS system. I'll try it again, however, making sure to completely delete the current partition - hopefully that'll bring about the FAT32 option.

EDIT
    Alright, I've tried reinstalling the system again and the only options it gives me on setting up partitions is:
    Partition disk with NTFS file system (Quick)
    Partition disk with NTFS file system

:-\
    « Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 05:01:44 PM by Jelx »

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 05:24:26 PM »

EDIT
    Alright, I've tried reinstalling the system again and the only options it gives me on setting up partitions is:

:-\
    Strange, it should have
    FAT32 File System
    FAT32 File System (Quick)

Well, for the purpose of troubleshooting:
    Did you already try redoing everything with NFTS (not quick, the regular one) again?
    Perhaps you should try that

And is this a regular IDE Cable drive?

Jelx

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 05:36:01 PM »
    As far as I know it's a regular IDE drive. I'm reinstalling windows xp as we speak, on the desktop. My current plan is to either check and see if my HP System Recovery is still available (some HP desktops come with an in-system recovery) and see if that may allow installing Windows XP with FAT32. If that doesn't work, then I'm going to simply keep trying to use Partition Magic and see if it'll work... it failed the last time and is supposed to be unstable, but if I keep trying with it it's bound to work once.

I'll keep everyone updated!

Jelx

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 11:25:50 PM »
    OK, I got the problem fixed!  :) I used Partition Magic, and when I installed the Windows XP installation it gave me the options of installing NTFS or keeping the current file system, which I did. From there I was able to change NTFS.SYS to NTFS.OLD in Safe Mode, then run CHKDSK on the corrupted drive, and change NTFS.OLD back to NTFS.SYS and can now access the drive completely with no problem!

Thanks for the help :)

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 05:36:59 AM »
      Good to hear you've got it solved. :)
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)