Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC powers down  (Read 2803 times)

bcop803

PC powers down
« on: August 07, 2007, 06:24:38 AM »
i have a computer running win xp sp2 that sometimes just shuts down completely. i have unplug power cord and reboot. other times it boots up and runs allday with no problems. i have ran virus scans,etc, but nothing jumps out. i was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what fixed it?

beanhead07

Hopeful
    Re: PC powers down
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 06:50:09 AM »
    Make sure your memory is properly seated. You can also run a memory test and see if one of your memory modules is bad. Do you notice any particular time it shuts down? (like only when your playing games or running certain applications)
    If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

Richenstony

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 06:56:14 AM »
    How old is your computer? Do you know what psu you have? ......... aka brand

Richenstony

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:06:57 AM »
    Make sure your memory is properly seated. You can also run a memory test and see if one of your memory modules is bad. Do you notice any particular time it shuts down? (like only when your playing games or running certain applications)
    going on what beanhead said ......Also there is a slight chance it could be your memory , take a test at http://www.memtest.org/ to make sure there are no errors , if we suspect they are we Will come back top that later , also if your happy with removing the side panel of your computer you can take a look and double check to make sure you memory has been inserted correctly and hasn't some how slipped out * WILD THEORY I KNOW :d*

beanhead07

Hopeful
      « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 07:41:20 AM »
      haha thanks Tony  ;D I've actually worked on a computer that the memory had come halfway out before.... so it has happened. lol! but check your PSU first like Tony said. If you've got a spare try swapping it out and see if it still has the same problem.
      If you hear beans rattling....... that means I'm thinking.

bcop803

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 12:01:56 PM »
       :) i will try these and reply back,thanks

mclarenfan86

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 04:40:41 PM »
      I actually have this exact same problem and am also looking for a solution. I'm running Vista, with a new Coolmax psu, a new bioware mobo, new buffalo ram and a new AMD processor. My situation is the same though. It will just off at random and the only way to turn it back on is to unplug the psu and plug it back in. At times it will stay on for hours/days, others for less than a minute. I'm getting ready to run the memory test that was suggested, but I haven't really figured anything out yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.