Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: flash player doesnt work with vista  (Read 7826 times)

blkmonday

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

flash player doesnt work with vista
    « on: August 11, 2007, 01:31:50 PM »
    i have a hp m7674n running the upgrade version of vista. my problem is with my flash player. it wont install. when i try to run videos it says i either have flash turned off or an old version. when i try to download the newest version. it doesnt install. i tried using the macromedia un-installer and starting from scratch but it still doesnt work. the flash player worked fine for about a month after i installed vista...but now it doesnt work or install. ive spent several hours online with a tech from hp and they just keep having me reinstall it and pretty much cant figure out why it doesnt work. has anyone else had this problem? where should i go from here? it sucks having this great computer with no flash player. >:(

blkmonday

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: flash player doesnt work with vista
      « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »
      update....ive been working on this issue again for another couple of wasted hours. ive un-installed using a different uninstaller and re-installed from another link. still nothing works. i noticed this...and this seemes like the problem. i go the the tools tab on internet explorer, hit ie options...general tab...settingss...view objects....shockwave flash objects...properties...dependancy tab and then i see "filename * and size damaged" obviously the file is damaged...but why wont it completely uninstall so i can install a new undamaged version? ive tried the uninstaller from the adobe website and anotherone i found on the net, tried re-installing it only to find the same damaged message and the same error messages when i try to run flash. ive noticed from the net that this is a common problem that adobe and microsoft are working on. in the meantime ive got a $2k computer thats worth nothing on the internet without a working flash player...any suggestions or anyone else dealing with this problem? :'(

Anodoin

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 08:31:28 PM »
        Sorry, I've not had this problem...  Have you tried booting into safemode to uninstall the software, or to manually delete the damaged file yourself?

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 06:14:11 AM »
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

blkmonday

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 10:47:09 AM »
            have you tried this fix?
            http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2153/vista_adobe_flash_player
            tried it and it doesnt work....i think the problem is because the other versions wont completely remove using the uninstallers...i cant get a clean new version to install.
            "Have you tried booting into safemode to uninstall the software, or to manually delete the damaged file yourself?"
            how would i go about doing this? would this remove all versions and traces of flashplayer? at this point ill try anything

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 12:20:52 PM »
            Download the Slim version of CCleaner and run it's Issues scan.  To start CCleaner with Windows Vista, right click on it and select "Run as administrator".  CCleaner will ask whether you want to backup your registry; do so.  Then, run then remove all the items it found.  Repeat the scan; it may find additional items; delete them also.  Repeat the Issues scan until it finds no items. 

Now, try installing Flash player.

blkmonday

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:57:33 PM »
              tried the sscleanr...great program, got rid of a lot of stuff i didnt need. but didnt help my flash problem. :'(

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:48:31 PM »
              You could post your issue in the Adobe forum on Flash Player:
              http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/categories.cfm?catid=184&forumid=44 

blkmonday

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 02:49:19 PM »
                well...i learned from the adobe flash forum, that a lot of people have this problem. there a few fixes that work for some people. none worked for me. however i did realize i could just switch web browsers and flash and everything works just fine. so i swithsed to mozilla firefox. the downlaod was free and easy and the download for flash works great now. apparantly the problem is with internet explorer 7 and flash player...there are several security and download problems that both companies have not figured out yet....so my advice is switch to mozilla firefox or netscape navigator for your browser and dont waste your time trying to figure out why your flash player doesnt work like i did (for over a month..with no solution untill now)
                thanks to anyone that offered help and i hope this is usefull to anyone that just wants to watch some youtube.
                peace
                 8)