Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My hard drive keeps making this clicking noise????  (Read 4529 times)

Nhockeyfreak

My hard drive keeps making this clicking noise????
« on: August 15, 2007, 09:15:55 AM »
I turn my computer on and my maxtor 160 gig hardrive makes a clicking noise then it beeps.. it does it over and over again.. eventually it stops but whenever i restart my computer it does it again.. it seems like it cant boot...and i put in my windows cd to try to repair it but my computer says it doesnt detect and hard disk!!!! I think my hard drive is fried...so what do i do.. its only a year old and i have a 3 year warranty so cant i get another one?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: My hard drive keeps making this clicking noise????
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 09:35:36 AM »
Commonly known as the Click of Death...that HDD is getting ready to fail...
Backup what you can ASAP. There may not be much time. The more you try to use that drive the further away data recovery becomes.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

Re: My hard drive keeps making this clicking noise????
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 05:52:46 PM »
A lot of Maxtor drives 100 gig. or more frfequently fail in about a year. Use that warranty and if you can't get your data, just remember that ALL hard drives die eventuially and not the appropriate place for a single backup of important data.