Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Encrypted usb drive  (Read 2483 times)

Ashraf

Encrypted usb drive
« on: August 16, 2007, 03:34:08 AM »
I backup some data to a new maxtor one touch III usb drive which use maxtor drive encryption utility. When I need that drive to get some data, I faced a problem that the drive is know well by the computer (device manager) but is not seen totally in my computer.  I tried a lot of software to even format or managing the drive anyway but all failed (swissknife, partition magic, paragon, smart fdisk, acronis, Large drive tools), all of them see the disk but can not make any change to it. Some reports that it is locked and others that I can not read/write and some other messages like protected drive. I am sure that the drive is perfect as it is seen rapidly by any computer running any operating system (including linux).

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Encrypted usb drive
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 02:11:52 PM »
I suggest doing some searching for a solution at http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/  Seems like the encryption is getting in the way.  I'd think their website has some info on this issue.

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 06:00:58 PM »
Encryption has separated many a user from their data. It's THAT safe.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 08:00:33 PM »
I dont like encrypting data like that, it's not very safe and not practical.