Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please Help Me (I don't know how to describe this problem)  (Read 2393 times)

SkyHighT26

Please Help Me (I don't know how to describe this problem)
« on: August 21, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »
Allright guys/girls, heres my problem.....

I purchased a dell dimension 8200 about 6-7 years ago
Its been through everything, I use to take my aggresion out on it, but it never affected its performance. I kept it pretty clean using avg virus protection, ad aware, and spybot search and destroy. So internet garbage was never a problem. About a year ago, everytime I would start up my computer I would recieve two messages(These might not be word for word)
1. Your system cooling fan is not functioning properly
2. Your system battery is low.
I never went out and bought a new cooling fan instead I just placed a stand up fan behind my whole computer and it kept my computer running fine. Eventually my computer wouldn't turn on at all. I went to radioshack and purchased a new system battery and I got my computer to turn on again. The weird thing was the power button light on the front of my computer would have to "charge" almost. It would flash yellow, starting from a weak amount of light to a strong amount. None-the-less once the yellow light peaked my computer would turn on. About a week after I got the system battery though my computer quit turning on again. It still goes through the yellow light process and rarely it attempts to turn on but then immediatly shuts back off and starts the yellow light process all over again.

If anyone knows what the problem is please help me or if you need some more information let me know and i'll do my best to describe it.

THANK YOU!

DeltaSlaya

Apprentice
  • Google
    Re: Please Help Me (I don't know how to describe this problem)
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 05:21:17 PM »
    Well understandably, because of it's age this computer is dying. I'd say the motherboard and or CPU have kicked the bucket. If you can't even get POSTing or see the BIOS there isn't really much you can do, aside from:

Cleaning and buying a new computer.
    System specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (up to 3.3 stock V and air)
    ASUS Striker Extreme
    XFX 8600GT XXX Edition
    2x 1gB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    Seagate Barracuda 320gB SATA
    Raidmax Ninja 918 (520W ATXV2.0 PSU)
    -

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:35:56 PM »
    Try swapping in a known working PSU of the same wattage or greater and see if things improve...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

SkyHighT26

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 05:46:43 PM »
    The PSU is the power supply correct? My friend builds computers and he was telling me it could because of the power supply...Unfortunately he was also telling me because I use a dell that I would have to buy one directly from dell and it would run around $200.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 05:56:15 PM »
    He would be wrong...yes you probably need a Dell unit but no it won't cost you $200.00
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "