Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Driver causing system crash  (Read 3958 times)

Rebecker

Driver causing system crash
« on: August 31, 2007, 10:23:40 PM »
Hi! I'm hoping someone on here can help me, because I'm quite at a loss as to what to do.

I'm using a Dell Dimension 8300, and I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2. It has an Intell Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHZ, and 512 MB of RAM. I use EZ Armor Firewall and eTrust Anti-Virus, along with AVG Free Version Anti-Virus. I also have Ad-Aware SE Personal version, also free, for catching spyware.

I'm having a problem with a driver on my system. It causes my computer to crash and give me the blue screen of death 1-2 times a day, and in addition, it has been running a lot slower and programs keep on freezing. This computer has a 112 GB hard drive with 60% still free, so I don't think it's because I'm out of space.

When I first got this computer back in 2003/2004, it came with a trial version of McAfee firewall. At one point, it kept trying to force me to pay for it and kept messing with my other firewall, so I tried to uninstall it first by using the program's uninstall command. For some reason, it didn't work, so then I tried to delete it VIA Add / Remove Programs. It kept saying that it was deleted, but the icon was still in my taskbar and the program was still there and was still running.

So, in a moment of impulsive stupidity, I went into the Program Files, found the McAfee file, and manually deleted everything in it, file by file. It took a few tries to get rid of everything, but eventually I thought I had. The computer had crashed periodically from time to time, but it's happening now with annoying and alarming frequency. The last 5 crashes have sited 'MPFirewall.SYS' as the offending driver that's causing it. That driver is part of the McAfee Firewall that I thought I had deleted. Since I deleted all the other files and accidentally left the driver there, I guess it's causing my system to crash by trying to do stuff with files that aren't there?

I tried downloading and running McAfee Virtual Technician, which "will scan your system to ensure that your McAfee products are installed correctly," according to their website. I ran it, and it said that it couldn't find any trace of McAfee products on my computer.

The first couple crash screens I got told me to use CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption. I did that, and it didn't find any problems.

The other crash screens all told me to use/do the following:

1.) Driver Verifier - I ran it, and it found the driver and monitored it and gave me some technical information with a lot of numbers, but it didn't offer any actions to take with the driver.

2.) Special Pool - I enabled it, but again, no difference and nothing happened.

3.) Update Windows - I tried that, and it made no difference.

4.) Disable BIOS Memory options; caching & shadowing - I didn't do this, because I don't know how.

5.) Uninstall new software / hardware - The only thing I installed that I noticed system problems afterwards lately has been Windows Live Messenger. After I installed it, the system started crashing, but it kept and keeps identifying 'MPFirewall.SYS' as the reason.

So, my first question is how can I fix this?

Secondly, if I were to go into the DRIVERS folder and simply delete the 'MPFirewall.SYS' file, would that make the system more unstable or worse, or could that fix the problem? I tried typing 'Manually Deleting Drivers' into google, and I didn't get anything helpful. So then I typed in 'computer help' and found these forums.

Please help!

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Driver causing system crash
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 01:50:14 AM »
    Based on a quick Google search I'd delete it, you may have to re-start in safe mode.
    Run Ccleaner after deletion.
    Ccleaner
    (During install, uncheck the Yahoo Toolbar option)

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Driver causing system crash
    « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 04:56:00 AM »
    Follow Fed's advice. The below link 'unlocker' is a
    very good help tool to delete files.

Important note from the readme txt.

Simply right click the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file
    or folder is locked then a window will appear with a list of processes
    locking the file or folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you
    are done.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/unlocker1.8.5.exe
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.