Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: keyboard and mouse no longer function. Any advice?  (Read 6596 times)

EGB

keyboard and mouse no longer function. Any advice?
« on: September 02, 2007, 03:13:45 PM »
Hi. I just installed the software for a kensington wireless keyboard and mouse. I didn't have the instructions so installed it on my new Dell PC which uses Vista Home premium.  I was prompted to restart the computer. When I did, the mouse and keyboard did not work. I unplugged the USB, and replugged the old mouse and keyboard. These no longer work. The computer boots normally, but without a mouse of keyboard, I cannot use the computer. I would like to remove the software, which I now see is not even needed to use the mouse and keyboard. I'm writing this on my old computer, with the new wireless mouse and keyboard. Any advice on how to use the computer now would be appreciated. I cannot even shut it down! Thanks.EGB

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: keyboard and mouse no longer function. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 03:40:57 PM »
Do you have a PS/2 Keyboard?You may need to reset the BIOS to
factory default.

Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

EGB

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 04:08:17 PM »
The new keyboard and mouse are wireless. They connect via a small USB connector. The old keyboard and mouse are USB. The computer is a new Dell XPS 210. The old keyboard and mouse worked, but I needed them for the old computer. I am pretty certain it is a software problem - I shouldn't have installed the software, but thought it was necessary to use the mouse and keyboard. These two are VISTA compatible, but on the Kensington website, it says that some of the software is not compatible.

What exactly is a PS/2 keyboard?

What I don't know how to do is to reboot the computer without a keyboard or mouse...how exactly do you do this?
Thanks for any help you can give. I'm freaking out a bit about this..as you can imagine!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 05:51:08 PM »
A PS/2 keyboard has a round connector like the picture in my last comment above.See reply#1.Maybe your new Dell don't have PS/2 capabilities.

I am thinking if your BIOS can't find the USB keyboard and you don't have USB keyboard capabilities.

You may have a jumper on your motherboard,or need to remove the CMOS
battery to get your BIOS reset to factory defaults.
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 06:05:18 PM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

orion618

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 06:25:01 PM »
Are your usb ports working I just had the problem where they were not working at all they were not showing in device manager I had to go into my bios to turn them on

EGB

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 06:51:02 PM »
Thank you all for your advice. I  found this advice on the Kensington website AFTER I installed the CV rom that came with the wireless mouse and keyboard. The question was : Should I install Mouseworks on Windows VISTA?
Reply:
"No, it is important to know that you should not install Mouseworks on any PC running Microsoft Windows Vista. Mouseworks was exclusively developed to run under Windows XP and earlier versions of Windows. With the release of Microsoft Vista there is no further need for the Mouseworks application as key features and functionality formerly provided by Mouseworks is incorporated into Vista. Vista supports programmability and configuration needs such as acceleration, application launch (keyboards), settings for right or left handed users, scroll speed, et cetera. Our plan is to continue to tap into the rich functionality, configuration, and programmability which Microsoft Vista incorporates. Please do not install Mouseworks on any PC running Windows Vista. "

There is no further information on the Kensington website. I'm assuming this is the problem with my PC - because the keyboard and mouse stopped working after I turned the computer back on after installing the CD that came with the keyboard and mouse.

Now my question is: What is BIOS? How do I do this? Should I ask a professional to help?
Is it possible to start the computer in another mode, like safe mode, without a mouse or keyboard? If so, how does this work?
I didn't try any other devices in the USB drives. Now the computer is turned off - I'm in Sweden and it's almost 3 am, so I'll head to bed. I'm so discouraged about this!
Thanks for any other instructions you can give me to solve this problem.
EGB

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 06:58:13 PM »
This may get you out of this jam.
Borrow or buy a PS2 keyboard and mouse...they can be the cheapest you can find and you can keep them for emergencies.
Unplug the USB devices.
Plug in the PS2 keyboard and mouse.
Power up.
Tap F8 repeatedly as the machine is starting and before you see the Windows logo.
The screen will give you some choices...just choose safemode.
Go to Add/Remove programs and uninstall the Kensington software.

Re-boot without changing the keyboard or mouse.
Make sure everything works and then power down and try hooking up the Kensington devices and remove the PS2 ones.
Good Luck and let us know.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

EGB

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 07:09:48 PM »
Hello again. Still here - I checked everywhere and found 8 USB slots, but none of the round holes as I used to have on my desk top several years ago.

I suppose Dell doesn't make these any more. I have another slot in front called 1394, but have never seen anything like this before.

Does this mean I can use this computer again?

That's going to give me a horrible night's sleep, I'm afraid!

I"ll contact Kensington and Dell tomorrow when their help desks open.

Oh dear!
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to help.

EGB

EGB

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 07:14:10 PM »
PS I found a PS/2 keyboard and mouse in my computer drawer - the reason I bought the wireless one in the first place was because I realized these wouldn't work on the new computer! Feel like I'm running around in circles here... :'(

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 07:39:21 PM »
I looked up the specifications on your Dell and it don't have PS/2
plug ins,Dammitt them!

Have you unplugged the computer from the wall and replugged it,then
let it boot up with only the keyboard plugged in.The mouse is not important
at this moment.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• Obituary
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 07:29:36 PM »
So,what you gonna do Bubba ?