Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive not recognized by computer  (Read 3801 times)

kmiller

External Hard Drive not recognized by computer
« on: September 03, 2007, 01:39:50 AM »
Hello.

I have been using a 120GB I-O DATA portable external hard drive, model HDP-U120.

It has been working fine until yesterday when it suddenly ceased to be recognized by my computer. The computer does not auto-read my drive and it does not appear in My Computer, device manager, disk management or safe hardware removal.

Other USB devices work fine on that same port so I do not think it is a problem with my computer USB port. Changing the USB cable does not solve the problem so it isn't the cable either. The drive requires no external power source other than the USB cable so its not a problem with the power.

The hard drive also fails to be recognized on other computers as well so the problem must be with the hard drive itself, but whenever I plug it in, the power lamp lights up and I hear the motor running, therefore it's probably not a hardware problem.

I have no clue what happened to my external hard drive and I am desperate in trying to have it recognized by any computer in order to obtain my important data in it. Please give me advice on what I could possibly do to fix this problem. Thankyou.

Jonas Wauters

Adviser

• My Skatevids Check Signature
    Re: External Hard Drive not recognized by computer
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 02:02:22 AM »
    What OS do you have?
    Is there any software that came with the External HD?

I'm afraid if it is the HD itself that we won't be able to help you.
    Then I would advice you to go to the place where you bought the HD and ask for help.

Jonas ;)

Spero-T

Re: External Hard Drive not recognized by computer
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 02:59:49 AM »
    Try reinstalling the software if it came with any, boot up in safe mode see if it is there !