Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: constant static/crackling coming from speakers  (Read 6229 times)

dervampyre

constant static/crackling coming from speakers
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:23:01 PM »
ok, it started two weeks ago, and wasn't very frequent. didn't do it when sound was playing (game, music, movie, etc.) but when speakers were on with nothing playing, they would start to crackle occasionally after a while. i thought it was just the speakers dying out, they're pretty old. anyway, i was just curious and i hooked up my roommates speakers and had the same problem. I downloaded new drivers for my sound card (Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum) and it got worse. its now a constant static/crackling whether there's sound playing or not. I have no idea what is causing this and can't seem to find answers anywhere. I checked for virus, spyware, adware, etc. and nothing. thats probably not it anyway, but i got nothing. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

dervampyre

Re: constant static/crackling coming from speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 10:31:55 PM »
anybody have any ideas? ???

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 10:42:48 PM »
try without your sound card,see what happen.

dervampyre

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 10:56:22 PM »
yeah, my bad, there was no sound at all without the sound card. so that pretty much means its my sound card then right.

dervampyre

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 11:57:02 PM »
just want to know if anyone can support my idea that its the sound card, cuz i don't want to buy a new one if i don't need it

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 12:58:21 AM »
try it on different computer

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 06:37:06 AM »
Hey there...

I know this could be a REALLY long shot but if you are somebody like me I know I seemed to love to place all of the volume controls up to maximum and unmuted.

I found that if the MIC and the AUX are unmuted and up to full I would get a crackling/static sounding noise on my speakers.

To get to the mixer:

1 Click start then control panel
2 Then (category mode) Sounds speech and audio devices then sounds and audio devices
3 Click advanced and a mixer will appear.
4 If MIC and AUX are not visible, click options then properties, and tick all the boxes and click OK
5 Basically the only ones you need un-ticked are: Volume, Wave, Synth, (If you use it) CD player and PC speaker

Hope this fixes your problem :)

Other thing to check if this fails...ground yourself to something and then touch a inner part of the case while on and see if it is grounded sufficiently already to not have static electricity flying around inside it. If not, You will feel it ;) just a small tingle :P

Kurtis

oxymoron_02

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 06:42:03 AM »
I've gotta admit it does seem like Kurtiskain's static electricty theory might have some credibility to it. In cases like this you should broaden your scope to beyond just your computer, and find out if anything else capable of putting out a lot of TREE has been installed near or in your home within the last couple of weeks.

You never know, it might be that newly landed and cloaked alien ship hovering over your house ;)