Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't turn on  (Read 6655 times)

socal2007

Computer won't turn on
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:06:41 PM »
Thanks in advance for looking!

I just bought a Gateway GM5478 Computer this past June. These are the computer specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor with VT
Intel G33
2048 MB DDR2, 667 MHz, (PC2-5300) dual channel memory (two 1024 MB DIMMs)
500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drive (Seagate Barracuda)
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8500GT 256 MB video card
Power Supply: Delta Electronics, Inc., Model: DPS-400RB A (400W max)

The problem is that my computer won't turn on anymore. The power light will light up, but nothing else happens. The fan doesn't turn on, the hard drive doesn't make a sound, etc. It was working fine previously. I went to work with it running a virus scan (using AVG), and when I came home the screen was black. I hit a few keys, clicked the mouse, but nothing happened. The only way I would eventually get it to shut off (so I could reboot), was to hold the power button down long enough for it to power down. when I went to turn it back on, nothing happened. Like I said, the power light turns on, but nothing else. I do, however, hear a faint sound when I do hit the power button to try and turn it on. It sounds like it's coming from the power supply, but I can't be sure. It only lasts, literally, for a fraction of a second. I'm not sure if it's the power reaching the power supply, or what it could be. It was plugged into a surge protector to begin with, and I've tried other outlets but I still get the same result. I contacted Gateway, but the best they could do was to have me ship it to them to "look it over." There's no guarantee that it will fall under my limited warranty and I was told it would take at least three weeks. Is it possible that it's simply a power supply issue? The gateway technician told me that it was likely the motherboard, but that was based on a five minute conversation and I don't feel confident that he knew the full situation.  Anybody have any ideas as to what the problem likely is? I've replaced a power supply before and added drives to an old computer (years ago), and I'm sure I could do it again if I need to, but its diagnosing the problem that I'm having difficulty with.

I'll send it to Gateway if I can't figure it out sooner, but since most of my school programs were downloaded through a student software program, I don't want to have to repurchase them for my older laptop while the Gateway gets fixed.

One other question, is there a way to temporarily get power to my CD ROM drive so that I could remove a program disk in the meantime?

Thanks again!

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer won't turn on
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:06:18 PM »
unplug everything (cable from power source,The HDD,RAM)& try re-connect it.Could be loose cables.Same with the graphic card or it's even better you try without it.It could be your motherboard if all the cables OK.Try connect your HDD as a slave in other computers & backup all your data while you can.Maybe others here have they own though ;)

Richenstony

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 08:02:26 PM »
I think your psu may be dead , or some cables may have come out........

socal2007

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 08:10:12 PM »
I forgot to mention that I had already re-seated both RAM sticks independently at first, and then both together. I've tried disconnecting the CD ROM drive and the hard drive. Just got back home again, so I'm gonna try and check for loose connections elsewhere.

Is there an "not-so-difficult" and "not-likely-to-make-things-worse" way for me to check the power supply?

Also, does the fact that the power light on the front of the tower still lights up indicate that it's something other than the power supply? Or can a faulty power supply still supply power to some components?

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 08:25:17 PM »
ok,lets do this :'(
the HDD didn't have power although you connect it right?with the fan too isn't it?
maybe i was wrong & richenstony theory right.
try different PSU,but make sure the same total watt.It can be caused by some cables that didn't work at all.It can be ;)

The Saviour

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 08:33:08 PM »
Actually, the best option you have available to you is to contact Gateway Support...

Screwing around with you computer (even though you may be comfortable doing so) may void the warranty you curretnly have with Gateway.

cgar23

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 05:48:44 PM »
Socal2007 - Did you resolve this issue? I have the exact same computer and, as of today, the exact same problem you described. Gateway is sending me a new power supply in the mail. Any more info or follow up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 07:16:11 PM »

One other question, is there a way to temporarily get power to my CD ROM drive so that I could remove a program disk in the meantime?

Look at the front of the drive. There should be a small hole. Take a paper clip (or a similarly small but not sharp object) and poke it straight in the hole. There's a small lever in side that when pushed, unlocks the CD tray so it can be pulled open. You shouldn't need to force it. If it's unlocked, the tray will slide right out.

Here's an example of what I mean:

[saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:18:16 AM »
The thread is over 2 months old...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo