Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows starts in safe mode only!  (Read 5934 times)

championvette

Windows starts in safe mode only!
« on: September 11, 2007, 07:27:12 PM »
I recently replaced my power supply becuase the computer would shut off and on continuously by itself. So the p/s worked, but now windows will not boot up, it only will in safe mode. I get stuck at the windows xp loading screen and it just sits there FOREVER, with the little green loading bar moving. I dont understand why it will only start up in safe mode but not normally. any help???

Spero-T

Re: Windows starts in safe mode only!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:49:42 AM »
Have you tryed reinstalling windows ?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 06:15:51 AM »

Stop it already...this is twice in 3 posts you have given the same advice....each situation tends to be a bit different.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Spero-T

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 07:06:17 AM »

Stop it already...this is twice in 3 posts you have given the same advice....each situation tends to be a bit different.

Ok.... But if you thinkk about it, it starts in safe mode, so it must be a software issue... if he reistalls windows would this not fix the problem no need to be so ****ing rude all the time i am just trying to help..............

championvette

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 08:33:21 AM »
"Boot into safemode....go to Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Have your Windows XP CD handy as it will ask for it."

I'm gonna try this first, which is what you suggessted to someone else with a similar problem Patio, and see what happens.

Spero-T

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 08:48:01 AM »
"Boot into safemode....go to Start/Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

which is what you suggessted to someone else with a similar problem Patio

Sorry to go of topic championvette

championvette

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 05:38:17 PM »
- not a problem

Well, that didnt work, but i did open up the tower and noticed that one of the silver latches that holds the processor down broke off. the little plastic notch where it clips into snapped off and so its not really stable and held down to firmly.. could this be a reason?? 

- im gonna keep tryin other things i found online.

Spero-T

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 03:51:17 AM »
That could be it, it may well just be over heating 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 07:13:38 PM »

Ok.... But if you thinkk about it, it starts in safe mode, so it must be a software issue... if he reistalls windows would this not fix the problem no need to be so ****ing rude all the time i am just trying to help..............

Because it starts OK in safemode does not rule out hardware as an issue...a minimal amount of drivers are loaded in safemode.
This does not mean that it may be an issue with just software as if for example it was a funky vid card which is hardware it may run properly on Windows drivers but not when it's ramped up in normal mode...
Another example would be if a network card is failing and wonking another pice of hardware as a result which i've seen many times the symptoms won't neccessarily show up in safemode but will exhibit the sickness when booting in full mode...

So stop yelling at me and take the constructive criticism for what it is...constructive.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »
- not a problem

Well, that didnt work, but i did open up the tower and noticed that one of the silver latches that holds the processor down broke off. the little plastic notch where it clips into snapped off and so its not really stable and held down to firmly.. could this be a reason?? 

- im gonna keep tryin other things i found online.

That heatsink hold down needs to be replaced.
 It will never run properly without being fastened down correctly/