Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: When System Restore Doesn't Work  (Read 5032 times)

eblackhawk

When System Restore Doesn't Work
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:56:29 PM »
Hi! I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 running XP Professional.  I have plenty of memory (M), plenty of available hard drive space (50 GB) and a non-working system restore feature.  It did work until about 2 months ago.  When I attempt to use it it goes through the restart and then says that it cannot restore my machine.  No matter which highlighted date I select, I get the same response.  I've increased the memory space for it, I've tried manually creating restore points--always the same response.  HELP!!!
                                                                                                                       Eric

8bamboos

Rookie

• If one steals from another, somebody else will ste
    Re: When System Restore Doesn't Work
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:22:13 PM »
    Hi! I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 running XP Professional.  I have plenty of memory (M), plenty of available hard drive space (50 GB) and a non-working system restore feature.  It did work until about 2 months ago.  When I attempt to use it it goes through the restart and then says that it cannot restore my machine.  No matter which highlighted date I select, I get the same response.  I've increased the memory space for it, I've tried manually creating restore points--always the same response.  HELP!!!
                                                                                                                           Eric

ok read this.......
    Re-Enabling System Restore
    One of the tips that was widely circulated on the net when XP Professional was first released involved disabling System Restore via Group Policy Editor. It certainly works, but a problem arises if you want to re-enable System Restore at a later date. There is no option to re-enable it again. To do so:
    Start the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
    Navigate to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/System Restore
    Set Turn off System Restore and Turn off Configuration to Disable
    Right click on My Computer and Select Manage
    Navigate to Services and Applications/Services
    Navigate to System Restore Service and double click
    On the General tab set [Startup Type] to Automatic using the drop down list
    Click the Start button to start the service
    Close the Computer Management console
    Return to System Restore in Group Policy Editor and configure both to Not Configured
    Close Group Policy Editor and reboot the system.
    After the reboot is complete, right click My Computer, select Properties and the tab for System Restore will have been restored. Configure it to your individual needs and satisfaction.
     :D ;)
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/2balls.jpg[/IMG]

Life is all about *censored*; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one

eblackhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 04:46:54 PM »
    8bamboos, Thank you very much for your fix!  I tried it out and it seems to work!  On the system restore calendar, it is like the program just woke up! The only active date is now just today but I made a manual restore point and utilizing the program it did go back in time. Again, thank you very much!
                                                                                                                                   Eric

8bamboos

Rookie

• If one steals from another, somebody else will ste
      « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:06:48 AM »
      8bamboos, Thank you very much for your fix!  I tried it out and it seems to work!  On the system restore calendar, it is like the program just woke up! The only active date is now just today but I made a manual restore point and utilizing the program it did go back in time. Again, thank you very much!
                                                                                                                                     Eric
      :) ;) :D :-*its okey you are welcome.............
      http://www.danasoft.com/sig/2balls.jpg[/IMG]

Life is all about *censored*; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one