Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Software/Hardware??  (Read 2719 times)

Carney

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Software/Hardware??
    « on: September 13, 2007, 02:25:48 PM »
    Hi everyone – I hope that this does not make everyone as nuts as it is making me; however, I really am uncertain as to whether I am dealing with a software (OS) or hardware problem. Briefly, these are the issues I am encountering: very slow and often very unstable operation regardless of which application I am using; USB ports fail and then just start working without any intervention; ditto for the DVD/CD drives; system locks up and must be unplugged in order to reboot – Ctrl/Alt/Del does nothing, the system only beeps when this happens; attempts to launch and use more than one application – regardless of ap – at a time results in extremely slow operation and system freeze; error messages regarding lack of memory occur when I attempt to launch any second software while running Photoshop or MS Word.

System specs: Dell XPS 400; 3.2 GHz; 4 GB RAM; OS=Windows XP Pro –Service Pac 2;
    Software loaded: MS Office Pro; Adobe Photoshop CS3; Adobe Bridge; No games other than those included with Win XP
    Antivirus/Firewall: Norton Internet Security with Virus Protection and Anti-Spam; Spy and Ad Bot; Qurb Anti Spam. I perform regular (twice weekly) updates of all this software.

I have attempted the following in my effort to solve these issues: defragmented the hard drive; Ran Dell Diagnostics from the DOS Setup menu – this did not identify any issues. Uninstalled and then reinstalled the OS and application software. None of these actions made a difference in the system performance.

I will very much appreciate any feedback and/or advice that anyone can offer. This is driving me crazy since I really need my computer for my work as a writer/photographer. I am NOT a computer expert, so, please, understand if I seem a little dense about some things! Thank you.

Oh - I'm posting this to both the software and hardware forums. I hope that this is alright.

mektek

Hopeful
    • Witty comment to be advised
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Software/Hardware??
      « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 03:39:01 PM »
      It initially sounds like it could be a memory problem.

Check all your memory sticks are seated correctly in the socket.

If the problem still occurs remove all the memory except one stick and try it with that. Then keep changing the memory to test one stick at a time. Hop[efully you will then find the one that causes the problem.

Try this and let us know. We will take it from their if this doesn't solve it.
      Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
      A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
        « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »
        nice looking comp. Does the computer start up ok in windows?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 06:44:55 PM »
        2 things i would try...
        1) Replace the CMOS battery...part# CR2032 about the size of a dime located on the MBoard...

2) Borrow a known good PSU of the same wattage or greater than yours and swap it in there for a reasonable amount of time and take the machine thru it's paces...if things improve you need to replace the power supply.

p.s. Do yourself a favor and don't buy one of those 25 dollar specials...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Carney

Topic Starter

Rookie
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 01:33:11 PM »
          Thank you all for responding and I apologize for taking so long to respond myself - I've been on a job that took two days longer than anticipated.

On the idea of memory being faulty: I have removed both SIMMS and reseated them. I have also removed one SIMM and run on the remaining one and this made no difference. I have also run a program called PCPITSTOP that is supposed to id faulty RAM and it did not find an error. The system does start okay - at least some of the time. Other times it seems to hang up after going through the initial startup process and coming to the final blue screen prior to presenting the desktop screen. When this occurs, I reboot and generally it boots fine into Windows.

Patio - I apologize, but I really don't understand what you are suggesting for me to try. I'm not a PC expert by any means and much of this is beyond my level of comptence.

Anyway, I keep trying to work on this thing and to resolve the issues, but every day it seems to get worse. Eeeeee!

Thank you, again.

Fed

• Sage
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 06:35:50 PM »
            Download, unzip, install and run Everest Home Edition
            Everest

Select Computer>Sensor from the left hand screen and check your temps.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 06:49:08 PM »
            Actually even if you have never done it these procedures are not very difficult...
            Possibly you could enlist the help of someone you may know that has done it a few times to assist.

Here is what the CMOS battery looks like:

As to swapping out the PSU it's a little more involved but not a daunting task...
            Just take your  time and see where everything is connected. Most connections will only go in one way so if you look carefully it should be easy to do it properly the first time...

As always when working inside the case make sure all power sources are unplugged and take the neccessary anti-static precautions.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "