Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Crash  (Read 3217 times)

Taftor

Computer Crash
« on: September 22, 2007, 10:31:43 AM »
Hopefully someone can help me with this. Recently after clearing up my computer I came across an odd situation that caused it to crash. Anytime I ran Tibia.exe (a game client) my computer CPU usage would hit 100% (normally on my computer thats fine) then the fan would get faster and louder and after about 20-25 seconds the computer crashes as if it has over heated (even though the heat is fine) at first I thought it was the sensor so I cleaned it out with compressed air, no difference. I then checked my drivers and found my VGA Controller card driver was uninstall so I reinstalled it. Once again no difference. This happens any time I open tibia but also when im Archiving (adding to .rar) files or running to many processes and this has never happened before. I could reformat the computer but I would prefer to leave that to a last resort

So if you have any ideas or suggestions of what I can do please post them here.

contrex

Re: Computer Crash
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 10:41:32 AM »
what do you mean "the heat is fine"?

Taftor

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 10:42:52 AM »
The computer is not warmer than usual I have felt it after it crashes for heat reasons and it is no where near that heat

contrex

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 10:50:05 AM »
Human hand is very poor and inaccurate post-crash heat sensor! You should use temperature monitoring software such as Speedfan. You did not mention your CPU or motherboard make or model.  ::)

Your computer IS overheating.

If you have had many crashes due to overheating your CPU may be damaged and therefore fail at lower temperature than when it was new.

Taftor

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 10:51:54 AM »
I am really unsure as to what the hardware specs are and I would rather not open it up since it is a lap top. It seems odd that the computer would only over heat after 20-25 seconds of cpu being at 100% usage and tthe fan getting louder

contrex

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »
If you don't want to open it up because it is a laptop, (which I entirely understand and agree with), your next step, realistically, is going to be to call some repair shops.

It would not be odd if the cooling was compromised to such an extent that the CPU is on the edge all the time and 20-25 seconds of 100% usage takes it way over the edge. You need to be running some temperature monitoring software, then you have some figures to work with. We don't know your idle temperature or how the temp spikes up with 100% cpu usage. RAM can overheat very easily also. Your laptop might be full of dust and fluff.

This is all irrelevant, since you'll be calling the repair shop. Believe me.

I know quite a few people who have found out the downside of laptops like you have.

Taftor

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 11:10:15 AM »
I had cleared out the pc just the other day with a can of "Dust off" I run fan speed and it shows:
  • HD0 - 34C
  • Temp1 - 49C
  • Core - 66C

When I hit 100% core speed instantly shoots up to 88C-92C this doesnt make much sense its not possible for a computer to hit that heat so fast is it?

contrex

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 11:20:58 AM »
When I hit 100% core speed instantly shoots up to 88C-92C this doesnt make much sense its not possible for a computer to hit that heat so fast is it?

[rolls eyes!]

Why doesn't it make much sense? Of course it's possible! Very possible! The thermal contact between the CPU and the heatsink may be damaged - the heatsink could have shifted if the laptop was dropped or jarred, or the thermal compound could be burned due to previous overheating. A hundred and one possible reasons. The temp could shoot up to 100C in 5 to 10 seconds. Modern CPUs have built in temperature protection that kicks in at around 100C. I expect that may be kicking in, but you usually get a message.

Anyway, quit arguing with fate. You're going to have to find the cost of a repair and compare it to the present value of the laptop.

You don't say what CPU you have, but whatever, 66 C is a high reading. If that's during idling or routine load, you sure have heat problems, my friend!

Taftor

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 11:28:12 AM »
Alright thanks for your help