Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows media player help - cant play online files  (Read 3272 times)

kristinstokes

windows media player help - cant play online files
« on: September 23, 2007, 12:14:18 PM »
I just got an ipod so I was looking for a way to find music to put on it. I went on the walmart.com website and looked up artists that I like. On walmart.com you can listen to samples of each track on the cd and then decided if you want to buy that track. Well Windows Media Player will not play any of the samples. I can play music that is already on my computer in Windows Media Player, but I can't play music from an online link. I upgraded to the newest version of Windows Media Player version 11 and then went on the MIcrosoft website and downloaded all the upgrades it said my computer needed, but I still can't get any of the samples to play. Does anyone know how to fix this? I know I can play the samples in Windows Media Player because on my friend's computer which is a desktop, it works; but it does not work on my laptop which is a Dell Inspiron E1405.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: windows media player help - cant play online files
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:00:49 PM »
Since I recently attended a presentation about downloading music and using software to play it, I was interested in this and just now visited walmart.com to see how I could listen to music samples.  What I learned is that you need to install "Walmart Music Downloads Store" software.  It's about a 4MB file that installs automatically once you give the OK while on their website.  You'll need to allow and ActiveX control to run in Internet Explorer, and you do need to use Internet Explorer (support for Firefox is forthcoming, but I did not a date). 

Once you've done this, you can listen to samples by clicking on the speaker symbol next to song titles on their website, as shown in the following image:

So, Media Player has nothing to do with playing samples.  Once you've purchased and downloaded music, then you can use Media Player or your preferred player to play the music.

kristinstokes

Re: windows media player help - cant play online files
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 03:40:57 PM »
When I click the speaker symbol beside the song I want to hear Windows Media Player opens up. The song does not play and I get an error message from Windows Media Player that says "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance click web help." If I click web help it takes me to a microsoft help page telling me to update and stuff. I did everything on the help page but nothing worked. Also under the track listings on the walmart page it says "If the sample does not play, download Windows Media Player 9" (which I already did) So I think it does have something to do with Windows Media Player since walmart is telling me I need it to play the samples. Also, I nothing ever popped up asking me to download the walmart store. I searched walmart.com and the web trying to download it, but I couldn't find it. Please tell me how you got to it to download it so I can try that. Thanks.