Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer keeps shutting down  (Read 3699 times)

wing0fan

Computer keeps shutting down
« on: September 24, 2007, 02:04:35 PM »
 Just recently (actually today) my computer started shutting itself down. The first time it happened it ran for about 20 min then shut down and after that the most i could get it to run for was a few min., sometimes it wouldn't even finish booting. When I opened it up i noticed that the fan on my cpu heat sink wasn't working so i replaced the fan with another but I am still having th problem. I was just wondering if you have any advice on the matter. Personally i think it is either that I need a new heat sink or a new cpu.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer keeps shutting down
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 02:12:59 PM »
    Could be the CPU is fried  :P , but possibly not.  Did you put heat-sink compound on when you replace the CPU fan / is that new fan running / did you check it / is it properly seated on the CPU?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

wing0fan

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 08:25:49 PM »
    ya i figured out that the cpu was fried. I had to get a new one

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:45:56 PM »
      Well, at least it's working now, correct? If so, best wishes with the new CPU. ;)
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."