Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Files/settings are gone and replaced with another user's settings (XP Pro)  (Read 2481 times)

mommy3boyz

My lovely children got to my computer this morning and logged in as me, rather than as "kids".  Now, when I try to log in as "me", all of my settings are gone and the scene and settings look like when you log in as the "kids" .  When I try to go into explorer, it tells me I have to install it.  Same with all other programs.  Nothing shows up as installed.  If I pull up my programs list, it still lists my programs such as itunes, word, etc., but if I try to run them, they all need to be installed.  (Logging in as "kids" still looks like "kids" though.)  If I look for my Word documents through another user's Word, I can find them, under "kids documents", "shortcut to me documents".  I looked at doing system restore but somewhere in the process it looks like system checkpoints have been deleted because the only system checkpoint it shows is from today and is after the change occurred. 

I obviously can access my Word documents but it is my saved email and addresses that I am most upset about.  Any suggestions?  Would it make things worse to try restarting the computer?  Many, many, many thanks.

deep

Beginner

No, just restart and then check your user settings in control panel.  I doubt the kids could have wreaked that much havoc in one sitting.