Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC wont start, says to go to safe mode, that doesn't work either  (Read 3757 times)

dalovi66

PC wont start, says to go to safe mode, that doesn't work either
« on: September 27, 2007, 04:03:29 PM »
When I turn on computer it goes to the screen that says windows did not start sucessfully, etc.  says to open in safe mode, try to doesn't do anything then i get an error message about  umountable_boot_volume

my pc is a dell 4600 and I use windows xp

Richenstony

tomshope

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: PC wont start, says to go to safe mode, that doesn't work either
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:11:16 PM »
    Here is what I have on this subject>>

One unfortunately common problem is data corruption on a hard drive and the dreaded "Unmountable Boot Volume" error. While the easiest thing to do may seem to be to format the drive and start from scratch, there is a better way of doing it, as long as you have a Windows XP installation disk handy. Read on to learn more.
    Computer hardware wears out over time, it’s a fact. Your hard drive works constantly reading and writing data, and this (among other factors) may cause errors on certain parts of your system.

If you receive the "unmountable boot volume" error and have an installation disk, you still have a chance to save your system.

1. Insert your XP installation disk into an optical drive and boot up your computer.
    2. When you see a welcome screen, hit the R key on your keyboard. This will enter you into recovery mode with a DOS prompt.
    3. Now type chkdsk /p and hit Enter. This will launch a utility which will check for errors on your hard drive.
    4. After the process is done, type fixboot and hit Enter to repair any damaged boot files which may have become corrupted. When asked to say yes or no, type the Y key on your keyboard.
    5. Type exit and press the Enter key to reboot your computer.

If all went well, you should now be able to boot back into Windows without a problem!

dalovi66

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:23:12 AM »
    Hi

I tried this it looked like it was going to work, then when i booted it back up still did the same thing.   When you say reformat my PC how would I do that?

Thanks for your help

Richenstony

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »
    Dont reformat yet ...... be paintent wait for other members .... you need more than 1 opinion before you do anything drastic like that ...

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 03:14:14 PM »
    Did chkdsk run OK with no problems ? ?
    If so follow the same procedure above but this time in the Recovery Console type in fixmbr and hit Enter.
    Re-boot.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Richenstony

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 03:16:46 PM »
    Did chkdsk run OK with no problems ? ?
    If so follow the same procedure above but this time in the Recovery Console type in fixmbr and hit Enter.
    Re-boot.

I get the feeling his formatted....  :-\