Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Perpetual Reboot after Windows screen after installing joystick.  (Read 2508 times)

chjump

Perpetual Reboot after Windows screen after installing joystick.
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:06:10 PM »
Thermaltake Shark
DFI Lan party NF4 SLI-DR
AMD 64 X2 4800
OCZ 2g ram
(X2) 74G Raptor SATA  RAID 0
EVGA GeForce 7800 GTX 256mb
Windows XP Pro (automatic updates / SPs)

I just bought the overpriced Saitek X52 Pro joystick, since I had to replace the older X52 which was a great stick. I put the installation CD in, plug in the sticks when instructed, and finish the installation instructions and procedures without a hitch. Everything showed on the control panel, but the rudder was acting funny (jerky and ill responsive on the left side). I figure maybe I can just isolate it with an adjustment to its deadzone margin, or it may fix itself with a reboot or something. I go to reboot and my $3000 + computer rig is now caught in a perpetual rebooting cycle. The last stick had a maddening mouse pointer drift problem, and tech support was HORRIBLE. Looks like this time is going to be the same, as they have yet to get back with me. All while I wait without a computer.

I have tried booting in safe mode, last known good configuration, etc. and can not get my machine to boot. For a split second before it starts the cycle all over, it displays a blue screen with the following error message:

Stop error: This application failed to start because msvcrt.dll was not found. Re-installing this application may fix this problem. After displaying this error message for about a half a second, it tries to re-boot.

I have tried the XP disk for the Repair Console, but no real luck. I'm very limited in my computer skills, but I have tried the following:

A dir command returns "an error occurred during directory enumeration".

A chkdsk command returns "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

Trying to copy the msvcrt.dll file from a floppy to C returns "cannot copy file"

If I choose the SETUP option from the CD, it says:
The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer:

70905 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [ MBR ]
C:Partition 1 [Unknown]    141816 MB  (141815 MB Free)

70905 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [ MBR ]
Unpartitioned space    70904 MB

The system has been running in top shape with McAffee for virus protection, regular defrags and scandisks etc., and did this out of the blue the restart after the joystick was installed.

Thanks so much in advance for any efforts to help / diagnose.

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Perpetual Reboot after Windows screen after installing joystick.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 01:47:51 AM »
(A chkdsk command returns "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.)

Try go to run-cmd-chkdsk /r
enter

have you try system restore?
Did you un-install the old driver before installing the new driver?
search for the latest driver, and update you pc anti virus / spyware.
uninstall mcaffee,
try avira anti virus
http://www.free-av.com/
update & full scan,

download ccleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Then try to copy that missing .dll again