Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: stoned empire monkey.b  (Read 3917 times)

tazpaige

stoned empire monkey.b
« on: October 02, 2007, 01:42:45 PM »
dell dimension 4600
intel 2.8 ghz - 2.5 gb
win-xp home sp 2
avg virus - comodo fireware pro - spybot search & destroy - ad aware 2007

evening,

i would like to find out just what the "stoned empire monkey.b" wanted from the user's computer. i have learned (from internet forums) that it went to and moved the mbr record on the harddrive. does the virus try to get the passwords and such and then use email to send to off to another address. i have learned that it is a old virus but can not seem to find out just what is was suppose to do the the computer.

i was working/playing with an old computer with a small 325.46M (341090304 bytes) harddrive. i think the drive is less than a gm. in any case, i think i got the virus when i was trying to make a bootdisk off the drive to use once i had fdisk and formated the drive. i was going to reuse that diskette and so placed it into my dell machine to format and the avg picked up the virus, stoned empire monkey.b.....

i ran my virus, spybot and ad aware.........all came back clean. i still worry that the boot record was moved and that it is just not seen.

please, any help.

tazpaige

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: stoned empire monkey.b
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 08:51:46 PM »
It sounds likely that AVG picked up the virus on the floppy diskette not on your Dell hard drive.   
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

tazpaige

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 07:24:07 AM »
morning dusty,

thanks for the reply.

yes, it was on the floppy or on the small harddrive i pulled from an older machine to us in the other computer.  it turns out that the drive is only 325.46M.  too small to use for win95 or win98 anyway.  the floppys that i used while working on the computer, i got rid of......i worried about even trying to format them. my real worry was what the virus did to the computer and could it use the email system.  as i understand it now, is seems that it only ran a message (your computer is stoned) on your computer and does not use email.....

thanks,
tazpaige

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 07:25:39 PM »
From what i remember of that virus when it was around if you had any Kellogs Corn Flakes in the cupboard it turned them into reefer...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 12:58:07 AM »
Had a similar incident some years ago when I was given an elderly pc and about 100 floppies all of which had a resident virus.    What a job - formatted every one, end of virus problems.

Your stoned virus is just a bit of fun, thank goodness, but caused lots of heavy breathing way back when.

LOL
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

tazpaige

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 10:40:27 PM »
thanks,  all of you for the answers.  and yes  it does seem that it was not  a bad virus.

i didn't format the floppies, just got rid of them.

thanks again.

tazpaige