Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: attempting to run any program asks what do I want to open it with?  (Read 4279 times)

happybunny

Okay, my two concerns are listed below, but first just a thought: I am trying to find out if there is any way possible to run System Restore without using Control Panel? If so, that may be able to fix this whole dilemma easily. well, here's my information as well....

* What operating system are you using?
Windows XP

* If you're getting an error what is the error message?
When clicking on an icon in Control Panel:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
Application not found
When attempting to run a program:
(not an error message) but I get the screen that comes up asking me what program I want to run it with. and I dont understand it, because this started happening while my pc was still running, not when I first started it up....

* Basic details on your computer, manufacturer (Dell, HP, custom built), how much RAM, CPU (Intel/AMD), etc.
manufacturer: Compaq
RAM: I cant find out, because one of my problems is that nothing in Control Panel works when I click on it!
CPU: I really don't remember, and again I can't look to find out, but I'm almost certain that its AMD.

* When did the issue start occurring? Did you recently install a program, new hardware device, or visit a web page?
It started occurring today, after installing PC Tools anti virus: http://www.pctools.com/anti-virus/ which I found 4 viruses with, but then uninstalled to see if that fixed this problem (fortunately you dont have to rely only on Add/Remove Programs for uninstalling a program!) but unfortunately, removing it didnt really help....

az_shyguy

Beginner

Re: attempting to run any program asks what do I want to open it with?
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:32:13 AM »
    hrmmm....ok I have had this problem before..maybe not the same as yours? I never had it ask what to open with....I figured I lost a dll file or it was corrupt..so the application did not run...I tryed restore and it could not restore... I am not sure if you use a registery cleaner but I am sure that is where my problem started!!!   I did have my program disc for my o/s system (xp Pro) and this is what I did...it will verify then ask for your disc. So if you have your o/s disc you could try this.

go to start>run and type the following command (NOTE: You must leave a space after sfc or it will not work):

sfc /scannow

Click ok and a progress bar will pop up. Let it run to completion and don't do anything else on the computer while it's running. Then reboot and see how things are running.

this should repair lost system files on your o/s and it did wonders on my system... I actually got my restore back after running this!!!
    this is just a thought to try... It helped me!!  would welcome any feedback from other forum members!!!
     Hope it helps!!!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:56:34 AM »
    if there is any way possible to run System Restore without using Control Panel?
    Start>Accessories>System Tools

happybunny

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 07:54:55 PM »
    if there is any way possible to run System Restore without using Control Panel?
    Start>Accessories>System Tools

the only thing stopping me from doing that is, anything I Try to open from the start menu does the same thing, it asks me what program do I want to open it with....

but right now I am trying every program possible, that is for the purpose of cleaning registries, none have done anything so far.

does anyone think it might be sypware/viruses, or anything like that? Im scanning for it both right now....

happybunny

I love search engines!!!!!!!!
    « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 08:28:15 PM »
    I used google to search for "C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe application not found," and it seems that just about everyone was having the exact same problem as I was.

then, after scrolling down some, I found this link that seemed like it would be the right one: http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129368

which resulted in me finding a reply to the users post, that contained this link: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

which led me to a place to download a registry file that restores default assocation for .exe files

which fixed my problem in less than a minute!

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

hope anyone else that ever encounters this problem finds this topic before they do anything else!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 08:30:47 PM »
    You may have ".exe" association broken.
    Try fix no. 12 from here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 08:31:57 PM »
    Wow! We just posted at the very same time, with a very same solution...LOL

happybunny

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 08:35:05 PM »
    haaaaaaaa we sure did! what a coincidence ;)

everyones advice was much appreciated though!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:39:03 PM »
    I'm happy, you're back in business!!! ;D ;D ;D