Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Keeps Shutting itself off  (Read 3940 times)

stevo1997

Computer Keeps Shutting itself off
« on: October 06, 2007, 02:11:50 AM »
I just got a new computer.  I installed XP and then got myself connected to the internet.  That is when I noticed that it randomly was shutting itself off.  I am able to restart the computer immediatly after and on several occasions was able to use the computer for a long time.  To day the computer was shutting down durring the start up.  I never get an error message and it will always restart in a normal way each time.  I am pretty sure it is not overheating, and I really have not installed any programs on the computer yet.  I only installed XP and then some drivers.  Any help on this matter would be great.  Thanks.  Here are the specs for the computer.

AMD X2 64BIT DUAL CORE PROCESSORS AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 6000+ AM2

AMD PROCESSOR COOLING FAN AMD SOCKET AM2

SOCKET AM2 MOTHERBOARDS ECS GEFORCE 6100SM-M Motherboard

DDR2 RAM AENEON AMPO 2GB (2x1GB) DDR-2 667MHZ PC-5400

COOLMAX MEMORY HEAT SPREADORS

SATA II HARD DRIVES Hitachi/WD 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB CACHE

HARD DRIVE COOLERS SPIRE Dual Fan Cooler for Hard Disk

DVD-RW DRIVES SAMSUNG 18X DVD-RW DUAL LAYER W/LIGHTSCRIBE

PCI-EXPRESS VIDEO CARDS nVidia Ge-Force 7300GS 256MB w/TV-OUT/DVI PCI-Express Video Card

SOUND CARDS 6-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

NETWORK CARDS 10/100 ETHERNET ONBOARD

CASE COOLING FANS THERMALTAKE ULTRA-QUIET CASE FAN

POWER SUPPLIES OKIA A-POWER 600 WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer Keeps Shutting itself off
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 02:33:17 AM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

Sounds like you are blue screening but not seeing the error message because you have auto restart set.

1.  Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.  Click the Advanced tab.

3.  Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.  Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5.  Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when you go to shut down and a fatal error occurs, you'll at least see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot. You still have to sort out what's causing the problem.

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

stevo1997

Re: Computer Keeps Shutting itself off
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 03:38:58 AM »
Thanks for your comment.  I am not sure that is the issue.  I may not have been clear in my original post.  When the computer shuts off it does not reboot automaticaly.  I have to turn it back on myself, and it will always turn on as if everything is ok.