Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleted files not in Recycle Bin  (Read 3209 times)

SHENGTON

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
Deleted files not in Recycle Bin
« on: October 07, 2007, 09:15:24 PM »
I know that if you delete something in your Floppy Disk or Flash Drive, the files that you deleted are not in the Recycle Bin. This is because Recycle Bin is only for the hard drives. Floppies are not covered neither are flash drives.

Now question is where are my deleted files go?

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Deleted files not in Recycle Bin
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 10:45:36 PM »
Simply speaking, they are still there.
When you delete a file, it still stays where it was before. You are deleting only its directory entry (the complete path and filename of the file).
When the above operation is completed, your Operating System (Windows) sees that space as an empty space, which allows to overwrite that space with a new data (file/files).
That's why, after deleting a file, and before writing anything else into its space, old file is fully recoverable.
Same goes for Recycle Bin operation.
When you delete a file, file doesn't move to Recycle Bin. Only file's its directory entry goes there. That's why you can easily move a file back, and forth from Recycle Bin.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Deleted files not in Recycle Bin
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 11:16:10 PM »
I'd suggest trying one of the free programs mentioned on the below page. One of these utilities should be able to recover the file and/or allow it to be accessed. When attempting to recover the file make sure the floppy diskette is in the computer.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000342.htm
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein