Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Formating my harddrive. Help!  (Read 4312 times)

Edzilla

Formating my harddrive. Help!
« on: October 09, 2007, 10:31:25 AM »
Over the past few weeks, I have found my computer running slower, and slower.  I wasn't too sure why, until about a week ago - when I download some free removal software, and virus scanners.  A lot of spyware/trojans and such had attached themselves to my OS.  I have removed almost all of them, but I am afraid that I will never get rid of them all.  So, I have decided to just start over clean and fresh, by reformatting. 

But....

I don't have the current version of windows disk, that I am running (I have an older MSXPPRO disk, with me), and no bootdisk.  I have tried restarting my computer with the older MS XP PRO disk in the drive, and rebooting via disk drive (Not sure if i did it write or not.)  And I can't simply just right-click on the haddrive, and format for more obvious reasons.. ..  I seem to be stuck! Any suggestions?  All the tutorials/guides that i've read, either end with me needing a Windows install disk (Which, mine is different version? older? bah) or, with a boot disk.   

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Formating my harddrive. Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 04:25:13 PM »
Do you have a 3.5 floppy drive?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

Edzilla

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 12:39:18 PM »
Do you have a 3.5 floppy drive?

Sure do.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »
If you format your data is gone...how will you install Windows without a Windows CD ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Edzilla

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »
I have an older version of Windows XP PRO disk.  I just can't downgrade, from what I have currently (Somehow, a newer version?)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 09:10:51 AM »
Gotcha.
If you are confident the older ver. CD will work and you're ready to take the plunge AND have backed up all the data you need then travel to bootdisk.com and DLoad the bootdisk for WinME.
Use the file to create a bootable floppy.
Power down and put the floppy in and power up.
At the A: prompt type format C: /u.....There is no turning back after this...  and hit Enter.
Open the CD tray and put in your XP CD...remove the floppy and re-boot.
XP setup will now run.
Follow the prompts and instructions and Good Luck.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "