Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP setup freezes  (Read 4556 times)

Soviet_Genius

Windows XP setup freezes
« on: October 14, 2007, 10:49:59 AM »
I have a relatively new HP a6000n PC which came with Vista pre-loaded. I am trying to install XP. It gets up to the first restart, after formatting the hard drive, and when it says "Restarting..." in the gray bar at the bottom it freezes. I hold the power button to turn the computer off, then press it again to turn it on. It shows the XP logo and the blue bar at the bottom. After about 10 seconds the bar stops moving and the computer freezes. What is wrong?

Soviet_Genius

Re: Windows XP setup freezes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 02:35:51 PM »
OK, never mind. I installed it somehow by accident. I have a new problem however. When I tell the computer to shut down or go into hibernate, it does everything normally, and then when it's supposed to turn off it says something like "It is now safe to turn off your computer" How do I fix this? It's very annoying because i have to hold the power button down for like 7 seconds every time i want to shut the computer off.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:07:52 PM »
Does your XP include Service Pack 1,or 2 ?
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 06:47:38 AM »
    You should always install the older OS first when dual booting OS's. 

Read this for an answer to your question about your error message.  I hope it helps.

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 03:58:44 PM »
    Never mind, I got it working. BTW, I wasn't trying to dual-boot, I just wanted XP.

kbm292

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 05:40:40 AM »
      Ok sorry.  I see that now in your first post that you said after you formatted it.  My bad.  Did you fix this one yet though?

"It is now safe to turn off your computer"

Let us know.