Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Maxtor OneTouch III USB 2.0 {back-up to 'F' failed}?  (Read 2022 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Maxtor OneTouch III USB 2.0 {back-up to 'F' failed}?
« on: October 15, 2007, 04:10:26 PM »
I'm having problems backing up files to my external drive.
I get this message when I hover the cursor over the Maxtor icon in the system tray; "Backup to F {SN:L42AYZCG} failed!!".
I can't find anything wrong in the settings.
In Control Panel > System > Hardware tab > Device Manager > Disc Drives > Maxtor OneTouch III USB Device;
in the Device Status box it say's:

"This device is working properly.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

I find no problems when running troubleshooter, driver is up-to-date and I tried un-installing and re-installing software with no joy.
What can I do next?
I'm running Dell Dimension 3000, Pentium 4, 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200 HD, Maxtor OneTouch III 200 GB USB 2.0 external HD,
Windows XP home SP-2 build 2600
Thank's,
Mike

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:55:59 PM by lectrocrew »

mongomad

Re: Maxtor OneTouch III USB 2.0 {back-up to 'F' failed}?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:33:28 PM »
I'm sure you found your answer, but in order for mine to work, a password had to be created on the device.  Make sure it is in your startup so that you "unlock" it each time or the backup will not run.  I found this looking into another issue is the reason it is nearly a year later!!!!

Thanks,

James