Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTLDR File is Corrupt. System cannot boot. Plus "No Signal" on monitor.  (Read 4603 times)

Theograd

Hello, everyone. Encountered a strange error when I woke up this morning on my PC. I left it defragmenting my one, and only, hard drive.

Anyways, the error read something like this:
Filedirectory/ NTLDR not found / corrupt, system cannot boot.

I was like "Uhhh ok..." and hit the OK button and ever since when I attempt to turn on my PC, nothing happens. The fans, lights, everything comes on. But the screen says "Signal Not Found" and the monitor just seems to turn off.

Has happened multiple times. The BIOs/CMOS thingys or whatever don't even come up. So I'm not too sure what's going on. There's no hardware beeping going on either.

Yeah...so any suggestions on what's going on, and how to fix it?

Operating System: Windows XP Pro. SP2 x64
System specs:
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Seagate Barracuda ES ST3320620NS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

ECS GeForce6100SM-M (1.0) AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100S Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Eagle Tech Cool Power ET-PSCP 500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply 115/230 V CE, FCC - Retail

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

so far everything I've tried has failed.

Burned a .iso with some NTLDR files on it with my brother's PC, from:

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm#What_if_the_computer_doesn't_have_a_floppy_drive?

Placed it into my CD/DVD drive, nothing as usual when I turn on the PC.

Every time I turn it on, I don't get anything. Just a "No Signal" message on my monitor. :S

I attempted to clear the CMOS, that has 3 pins. Pins 2 and 3 have to be covered, from what I read in the manual. So I took the jumper, covered the 2nd and 3rd pins and then turned on the PC. I received the same "No Signal" message.

I turned it off, and then moved the jumper back to 1 and 2, and still received the same "No Signal" message on my monitor.

Someone suggested:

1: take a USB drive, goto another computer. goto the c:/ drive, and click tools, file options, view, show hidden files and folders. also, uncheck "hide protected system files".

2: insert the USB drive.

3: COPY anything with NTLDR in it to the drive. do not cut or delete it, or your computer will not work again.

4: download a Linux live cd, preferably PClinuxOS or Ubuntu, and use it to boot into the broken computer.

5: once Linux is running from the CD, insert the USB

6 surprised pen your computer, and find the "WIMDOWS" folder. it should be in home.

7: copy all the NTLDR files directly into the WINDOWS folder.

8: reboot.

9: pray

10: SUCESS!

Thing is, I don't have a USB Flash Drive, and I have only 1 CD Drive in my PC at the moment.

Right now, I'm downloading Ubuntu Linux and I'm going to try to slap the NTLDR information on the .iso with it, so I can explore the .iso and sha-bam. Hopefully that may work. Not sure if I can get past this "No Signal" screen though.

Bad motherboard? Borked hdd? Not 100% sure yet.

Anyways, any help would be great.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: NTLDR File is Corrupt. System cannot boot. Plus "No Signal" on monitor.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:58:18 PM »
They have pretty good troubleshooting page on this board:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 11:59:06 PM »
take out the add on card, try turn on the pc....

Theograd

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:21:02 AM »
take out the add on card, try turn on the pc....

Just now tried this, plugged in onboard, and still received the same "No Signal" message on my monitor.  :-\ :'(

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:27:10 AM »
try the cpu with different monitor

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »
Do you have one HD, or two?
Did you try another video cable?

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
    « Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 09:27:56 PM »
    have you tried using all of the factory cards and internal devices. Also check the card with another screen.