Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing SATA hard drive  (Read 2082 times)

sixstringskatr

Installing SATA hard drive
« on: October 22, 2007, 09:25:38 PM »
Hello, all.  I am not the most computer-savvy person out there, but I know a good deal, but obviously not enough when it came to a new hard drive.  I decided to go for a SATA drive instead of an IDE.  I moved all the files I wanted onto a slave IDE drive, and then unplugged it so I don't do anything to it (I record music, so all my Pro Tools sessions and pictures are on there...they're really all I wanted to keep).  I ordered a Western Digital 250 GB drive off of Newegg, however, it was listed as OEM, so all I got was the hard drive.  Nothing else.  I was able to procure a SATA connector, and upon making the proper connection, nothing happened.  The computer doesn't seem to recognize it.  I connected the original OS drive back in order to boot up the motherboard CD in an attempt to install any drivers that I could, but it tells me that I have SATA available on my motherboard.  That's all it's telling me.  I don't have my computer in front of me at the moment but I will list what I can.

Gigabyte nVidia Nforce 250 Chipset
AMD Athlon 64 2.0 ghz
2.0 GB of RAM

That's all I know off the top of my head that I think holds relevance.  If you need more, please let me know.  But I have been throwing things around in frustration for hours, because I can't figure out how to get the computer to recognize the SATA drive so I can install Windows on it.  I read in my motherboard manual a way to install it, but it requires a floppy drive.  Is that the only way to get it done?  Also, I noticed that there are two ports on the drive:  a data port, and a power port.  Problem is, I can only find the data port on the motherboard.  Should I also have the power port somewhere?  It seems kind of mean that a motherboard will provide the data connection, but no way to power it up.  Sorry for the long post, but it was as specific as I could get.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Installing SATA hard drive
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:47:12 PM »
If you are going to install an OS on it check both Gigabytes and WD's site for the drivers.

The power connection probably isn't on the MBoard but coming from the PSU...if it has no SATA power connectors then you will need a 4 pin Molex to SATA adapter to hook it up.

P.S. Double check the MBoard driver CD...sometimes they call the SATA drivers RAID drivers why i don't know but if they're for your MBoard they should work.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "