Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hard drive sounds  (Read 2304 times)

CyberHawk

Topic Starter

Rookie

hard drive sounds
    « on: October 25, 2007, 12:20:51 AM »
    ok, im starting to have this problem and it is starting to worry me. Every couple hours my computer will make a loud screech sound, it usually lasts a second. My  computer's hard drive is a Seagate ST3250624A      250 Gb. I dont have any real impotant stuff in here yet as its fairly new... Is there anything I can do or is this hard drive already bye bye??

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: hard drive sounds
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 12:54:10 AM »
    Hard drives should not make any noise.   Run Seagate's SeaTools diagnostics available from here.

Good luck
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 01:51:46 AM »
    2 suspects...vid card fan or PSU fan.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TonyPaul

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 02:35:48 AM »
    As per Dusty's reply run Run Seagate's SeaTools diagnostics on it.
    I would however make a backup of the drive or at least your important files as a matter of urgency. While the problem might turn out not to be the drive a backup is still a good precaution just in case.

ultimatum

Intermediate
      « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 12:55:15 PM »
      I don't think its the hard drive because it would be constant noise while the hard drive is in use. Its most likely power supply, when I had that problem I would hit the pc case couple of times and the noise would stop; I kept doing that until the noise wouldn't stop so I went out and got myself a new power supply.
      Its not what you know, its what you can do that counts!

appleoddity

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 07:46:54 AM »
        That hard drive "ST3250624A" is notorious for screeching noises.

I swore off Seagate all together.  I'll never touch another one in my life, period!

There whole line of Barracuda drives are doing it.  I have experience with the 250Gb and 320Gb.  I bought 20-25 of them and at least half of them did what you are talking about right out of the box.  I RMA'd most of them, but kept a couple that were making the noise.  To their defense, they are still running fine after 1 year.  But, they do still make the occasional screech noise.

When talking to Seagate on two different occasions, they act clueless about any "noise" there hard drives are making.  Any manufacturer who is selling hundreds of thousands of inproperly designed drives that are making noise in the numbers that I saw personally, and then denies they know anything about strange screeching noises, doesn't deserve my business, or yours!

I used to stand by Seagate and their 5 year warranty.. However, even if it is the same company, I stand by Western Digital now, and have not had any problems with them what so ever.

On a final note, these Seagate drives run excessively hot, and I have always had to install an additional fan blowing directly over the drives for fear that the drive would fail due to heat.