Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Media Player (WMP) v10 versus v11 and childrens MP3 player.  (Read 4463 times)

tpolcha

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    My child Disney MP3 Player has a plug-in disk to load.  The instructions are explicit; the player will only work properly if ONLY WMP v10 is installed.  I already have v11 installed rendering the toy useless.  There are provisions within v11 that lead me to believe I can revert back to v10.  Those instructions are not clear to me at all. 

Has anyone encountered a problem like this before.  Please; no experiments, I can do that on my own.  I'm mostly worried about what will happen to all the files in WMP and files saved to CD-RW using WMP v11. 

I went to a Microsoft forum to address my problem but they haven't responded.  Thanks for your help.  T.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows Media Player (WMP) v10 versus v11 and childrens MP3 player.
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 09:51:28 AM »
    What version of Windows are you using?

tpolcha

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
      Windows XP Home v5.1

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:01:21 AM »

tpolcha

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
        Thanks so far.  This is why everything is confusing...  First go to WMP v10.  After the page asks you to verify your legitamate lisence, just under that it gives instructions for people like me that have v11 and need v10.  It does discuss a beta version of 11 and is different from your instructions specifically; NOTE: do not uninstall WMP v11 Runtime.  It speaks about protected files.   

The new instructions you sent have nothing to say about the runtime file.  Am I supposed to delete both of the WMP v11 files?

I might be picking at little pieces here but thats why I am soliciting your advise.  Neither set of intructions state (to my understanding) that I will still be able to play all my previously saved v11 files.  That is all my 8 year old's music I've already copied to disk. 

Are you implying that I won't have to reburn all the mp3 music if I follow your set of instructions to revert to v10?  Thats just where I am confused.    I'd hate to waste your time by asking to many questions that should seemingly be obvious to me.  Thanks. T.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:45:03 AM »
        The instructions that I have given you are perfectly fine.
        Follow them exactly, and it'll be OK.
        Anything it tells you to do, do it.
        If it doesn't say to do it, then don't.

I've followed the same instructions before to revert from v11 to v10, and it worked fine.
        You will not need to reburn music or anything else, all the music or video files that worked with v11 will work with v10 as well.

tpolcha

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
          Thanks, I appreciate that.  I have confidence now.  And my daughter will be happy as well. T.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
          You're more than welcome.
          Let us know how it works out, anyway, and whether you need any further assistance.

Wings

Rookie
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 09:32:28 PM »
            Feeling kind of smug here over this information. I know my iRiver worked with WMP10, so I decided to say NO every time it asked me if I wanted to upgrade to WMP11.

The old saying, IF IT ISN'T BROKE, DON"T FIX IT, has never been truer than with computers.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »
            Personally, I don't like WMP11, for the interface alone.
            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" works fine for me too mostly.