Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows wont continue startup normally  (Read 3827 times)

MaurerPower

Windows wont continue startup normally
« on: December 12, 2004, 09:39:31 PM »
This morning, I seemed to have visited an unsavory site, or something, as it put a virus on my computer.  I thought my anti-virus was running, but apparently not/it wasn't updated.  (I'm using ETrust Antivirus, by the way)  But anyways.   First it gave me a ton of spyware, which I tried to get rid of with adaware and spybot, which got rid of some, but my start page in internet explorer would change to the same thing everytime, and also I would be doing something in a window and it would just randomly close, or switch to some ad, and then immediately close.   I ran AdAware, Spybot, and Etrust antivirus.   Got rid of all the spyware, Etrust came up with a virus named "counter.cab" which I got rid of.  

I left for a while, came back, restarted my computer and it wouldn't go.  It would get to the Welcome screen, and then load the desktop picture, and wouldn't do anything else.   It will work when I put it into safe mode, which is what I'm in now (safe mode with networking) and I have ran my antivirus program, and there are no viruses present, just a bunch of files with "Open Error".  I did an internet search on this, and it didn't seem to be like a big deal, but maybe it is.  This is the only cause I can see why it wouldnt' be working, but maybe you guys can help me out.

So basically, my computer wont start in normal mode, it will load the desktop picture and wont do anything else, but I can run it in Safe mode.  What should I do?

kaplan

Re: Windows wont continue startup normally
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 01:06:02 AM »
Hi,

Try this first, if you don't already have RegClean, go to CNET.com to download it, it's free. Once you downloaded it and install it, run RegClean to clean up the register. What RegClean does is to sort out all junks and wipe it out.

K.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 01:52:05 AM »
    Try this
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
    what firewall do you have and what operating system?

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 01:10:08 PM »
    what results do you get on re-booting and chosing last good config option... disable system restore and then scan for bugs!!