Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook - viewing jpg attachments on emails  (Read 4431 times)

debonair

Microsoft Outlook - viewing jpg attachments on emails
« on: October 30, 2007, 09:25:50 AM »
When I was using Outlook Express, I was able to view jpg attachments on emails by simply scrolling down.  Now I am using Microsoft Outlook and have to open each jpg attachment individually to view the pics.  I much prefer the convenience of scrolling down to view the jpg attachments on emails.  Can I change my Microsoft Outlook to work the same way as Outlook Express? ???

tommy gusack

Intermediate
    Re: Microsoft Outlook - viewing jpg attachments on emails
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 11:11:21 AM »
    Theres always.....always something to grab a hold on.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:56:34 PM »
    http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/art

Hope that helped ya mate
    How is that reference supposed to help?  I see nothing there that relates to his question.

debonair, I believe the answer to your question is no.  I've searched through the settings in my Outlook 2003 and I see no option to view jpg attachments other than by opening them individually. 

This is probably, at least in part, due to Outlook being a more secure email client than Outlook Express.  Since jpg files have been used to disguise viruses, not automatically opening them, as in Outlook Express, means tighter security.

debonair

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:52:53 PM »
    Thanks for your response:)  That answers my question.  Not the answer I was hoping for but it makes sense.  I tried the suggested link from the previous poster and found nothing related to my question.  S/He must have not understood the question ???.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 10:11:07 PM »
    soybean is right about security issue, but there may be a solution:
    http://blogs.chron.com/helpline/archives/2006/10/viewing_images.html

Users of Outlook 2003 will notice when they receive a message with images in it that, instead of seeing the image, they see text that reads:

Right-click here to download picture. To help protect your privacy, Outlook prevented automatic download of this picture from the Internet.

This is due to a security feature in Outlook. As annoying as this might be I would caution you to consider leaving it as it is.

When viewing an e-mail with embedded images you need to keep in mind that these images are hosted on a web server somewhere on the Internet. In many ways this type of e-mail is like viewing a Web page and when you view them a request is sent from your computer to the computer that hosts the image.

With a simple piece of Web code embedded in the e-mail, an unscrupulous advertiser can easily discern if your address is legitimate and active, leading to more spam e-mail.

In many cases the images are not a problem and you can quickly tell if the e-mail is something you trust or not. There are plenty of valid companies that use this method to include images in their messages and they collect no data from this practice.

To be on the safe side it might be prudent to just make the decision to view images on a case by case basis and go through this tiny little bit of extra effort. It's not like that index finger can't use the exercise.

However If you are not concerned with spam or the atrophying muscles in your clicking finger and you don't want to go through the extra motions to view images in e-mail then you can turn this security feature off rather easily.

Select Tools, Options and go to the Security tab. Click on the Change Automatic Download Settings button and make you changes.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 09:15:48 AM »
    soybean is right about security issue, but there may be a solution:
    http://blogs.chron.com/helpline/archives/2006/10/viewing_images.html
    Your long quote, which I did not repeat here, appears to be referring to the case where images are inserted into the body of the message by the sender, not as attachments.  So, it does not apply to messages where pictures have been sent as attachments.