Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need advice re Nvidea Graphics cards  (Read 2588 times)

Reaperv2.0

I need advice re Nvidea Graphics cards
« on: November 04, 2007, 12:36:43 PM »
Hi all,

I currently have a poor poor graphics card in the form of the Nvidea 7300, i want an upgrade and am looking at the Nvidea 8800GTS 320MB or 640MB card. Obviously this new card would require a 16x PCI-E slot on the motherboard and a spare PCI-E 6-pin power connector on the power unit. My problem is im a bit of a computer novice and dont know how to identify if my PC has this, can anyone help? as i have my computer open but cant tell what im looking for. I believe my mother board is a MS-7301 ver 1.0 but again this might be totally incorrect LOL

I cant find the manual at the moment but if i did would that give me the data i need? aaaaaaaaaaaargh i hate being so ignorant.

:-[

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: I need advice re Nvidea Graphics cards
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 12:43:15 PM »
Do you know what power supply you have?

The MS-7301 motherboard does have a spare PCI-E X16 slot for a graphics card upgrade, however I see this is a small form factor board.
Do you have enough ventilation for a higher performance graphics card?
And what do you do that necessitates such a high performance card?  I.e. what games do you play?
You might not need an 8800GTS.

Reaperv2.0

Re: I need advice re Nvidea Graphics cards
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 12:51:32 PM »
Hi wow that was quick!

Well as i said my card at the moment is pretty pants and with the new Directx10 games coming(ok just Crysis at the mo) i didnt want to buy a card that in 12 months time leaves me seriously behind in gaming terms! i have the new generation gaming consoles in the form of a PS3 but have always been dedicated to my PC so really wanted it to be the best i can get it and as it seems Directx10 is the future i wanted to be there now rather than wait.

As for the cooling fan, again not sure but i thought the GTS has a built in fan anyway, or is that not enough? ;D