Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how to install a second operating system  (Read 8255 times)

smf

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Expert
    how to install a second operating system
    « on: November 04, 2007, 03:01:06 PM »
    I need to know how to install a 2nd operating system. IM currently running windows vista ultimate and i have a 80GB hard drive but it is divided into 2 partitons so i could install 2 operating systems.I want to install windows 2000 pro on the 2nd partiton but when i insert the disc it says "this oprating system is older than the one you are running so you can not install it" so how do I keep vista on one partiton and install windows 200 on the other even though 2000 pro is older??????
                                                                                                     PLEASE HELP!! thank you soooo much!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: how to install a second operating system
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »
    according to Hoyle - you know Hoyle, right?  ;D - the older OS must be installed first.  At least, this was necessary when setting up dual boot configurations with two older versions of Windows.  Now, I've seen references on the Internet about scenarios where XP can be installed after Vista to setup a Vista/XP dual boot system.  But, regarding installing a pre-XP version of Windows after Vista has been installed, I believe, from any practical viewpoint, it can't be done.  So, if you want to install W2K and Vista, figure on formatting your hard drive, installing Win 2K, and then installing Vista.

If you're not satisfied with this answer, try a Google search on dual boot Windows 2000 and Windows Vista.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 03:28:02 PM »
    And if i may i'll save you a lot of grief if you choose to not take Soybean's excellent advice...installing Win2K after Vista is a chore and it never stayed stable enough for me.

So i bit the bullet, did it the right way and it has been fine since...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pudco

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 04:49:45 PM »
    according to Hoyle - you know Hoyle, right?  ;D - the older OS must be installed first.  At least, this was necessary when setting up dual boot configurations with two older versions of Windows.  Now, I've seen references on the Internet about scenarios where XP can be installed after Vista to setup a Vista/XP dual boot system.  But, regarding installing a pre-XP version of Windows after Vista has been installed, I believe, from any practical viewpoint, it can't be done.  So, if you want to install W2K and Vista, figure on formatting your hard drive, installing Win 2K, and then installing Vista.

If you're not satisfied with this answer, try a Google search on dual boot Windows 2000 and Windows Vista.

YES..  I learned this the hard way (A few times cause I forgot, lol)  You can't go backwards, it doens't work that way..  One time I had 2k and XP Pro at the same time then about a year ago I had xp pro and wanted 2k again so I installed 2k and that's what happened.. 2k messed my xp up so bad, I just trashed the whole thing, repartitioned, formatted, hten installed xp pro and said forget 2k haha.  It is possible but you can't do it backwards like that sorry.

Jay