Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cd rom drive has a big yellow exclamation mark  (Read 2844 times)

Tingaleo

cd rom drive has a big yellow exclamation mark
« on: November 06, 2007, 08:30:43 PM »
So I set out to redo my girlfriends computer, repartitioned the hard drive and installed windows xp with no problems.  Reinstalled some drivers from the disk she was given with the computer with no problems.  During one of the many updates to windows xp though, the cd rom drive developed a problem where in device manager it shows a big yellow exclamation mark and says the drivers can not be uploaded and that they are either corrupt or missing.  There is also a dvd rom drive that developed the same problem.  I have uninstalled both drives and reinstalled them and the problem persists.  Now I cant even start over as I cant boot from the cd rom drive.

The computer has an AMD 2400+  1.67 GHz with 480 Ram, and I believe is on a VIA motherboard, at least that is what the driver disk is labeled as.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try next? I would really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:45:06 PM by Tingaleo »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: cd rom drive has a big yellow exclamation mark
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:49:36 AM »
I would try another IDE cable....
Also DLoad a WinME bootdisk from bootdisk.com and extract the file to create a bootable floppy. Get the one with CDRom support.
You should then be able to use the drives.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Tingaleo

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 09:55:43 PM »
Thanks.  I think the problem started when I installed the drivers that came with her computer.  I restored to an earlier point and was able to complete the install by being more choosy about which drivers I installed.  Thanks for the advice though.  I've made a bootable disk like you suggested in case the problem comes up again.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 05:15:08 AM »
You probably skipped over one of the MBoard drivers that was needed...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "