Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Idle Process  (Read 4097 times)

John-Paul

System Idle Process
« on: December 17, 2004, 07:29:56 AM »
 :DDoes anybody know anything more about a "System Idle Process" which appears to run when a PC is not doing anything with Windows XP?  

In the task manager processes tab, this appears to be using 99% of my CPU resource and shows the user as "SYSTEM".  I am encountering significant slowing down of my system, and cannot for the life of me find anything wrong - ie no virus, malware, etc - and I think this might be the cause?

2k dummy

Re: System Idle Process
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 08:22:32 AM »
Thats perfectly normal. What that is really saying is - You are using 1% of the CPU cycles and 99% are doing nothing. If your system is slowing down, something else is the cause. If you have Content Indexer running, turn it off. Also run Ad-Aware and Spybot. Spyware can eat your processor and bandwidth alive.

Chunkymunky01

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 08:39:53 AM »
Back again - thanks for the response.  I think it's spyware, have run Ad Aware which can find nothing, but I'll try spybot.

Out of interest, what is content indexer?

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 10:10:38 AM »
Content Indexer is the indexing service in XP. IMO, it is a total resource hog. You can disable it, or better still, uninstall it from add/remove programs/windows components.

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 01:37:43 PM »
    What are your computer specs?

Chunkymunky

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 02:52:26 AM »
    Computer spec - 512 MB RAM, 2250 MHz processor, running windows XP,