Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! computer shutting down after only a few minutes  (Read 5001 times)

UnclePeJay

Help! computer shutting down after only a few minutes
« on: November 17, 2007, 09:05:04 PM »
my son's computer has recently started shutting down after being on for just a few minutes.  Could this be a power problem overheating and shutting the comp down?  Because when I try to restart the comp, it comes back up but after a shorter time before, it shuts off.  Any Help?

btw, the comp is less than two years old and it runs windows xp

Anodoin

Intermediate

Re: Help! computer shutting down after only a few minutes
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 09:10:55 PM »
    My first guess would be that the computer is overheating, and shutting itself off.  Open up the case and look at the fan on the CPU, see if it's spinning when the machine is on. 

You can also try to spin the fan with your finger (while it's off).  If it stops pretty quickly, it's probably time for a new fan. 

Go into the BIOS when you turn your computer on, there should be a section in there that tells you what your computer's temperature is at.  Do this right after it shuts itself off and let us know what it says.

fakewaterwalker

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 10:43:28 AM »
      my computer keeps doing the same thing, and my fans both run perfectly fine and it still shuts down after a short period of time, sometimes even before the desktop starts up
      Are you infected yet? It happens to everyone,don't hide.
      Time is running out.  :,(

gold

Beginner

• the world has ears...
        • help computer
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 11:28:29 AM »
      As Anodoin said, the problems point to an overheated PC.  Get a temp reading from your BIOS as instructed, and probably surprise yourself.

PC cooling is critical, and an uncooled modern high performance processor can melt in about 10 seconds.

If you get a high temp reading, I would strongly suggest that both of you invest in new CPU heatsinks w/ high speed fans and a high quality thermal compound to ensure a good pathway for heat to spread and escape.

If you need help with choosing or installing these, just post here.

Thanks and good luck.
      computer problem?
      mr. hope will help

if you are experiencing an error message, google that message.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »
      Well the OP has left the building so we'll wait to see if he returns.

::)
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "