Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer shutting off  (Read 2666 times)

lanechaffin

computer shutting off
« on: November 25, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »
My aunts computer (compaq emachine windows xp) has a strange problem. When turned on, it will begin to come on and then a message on the monitor (emachine) says "Power saving enable monitor will shut down in a few seconds". The monitor screen will then go black and the computer seems to be at times hibernating or sleeping, then by itself it will try to come on again and then the message i mention above will come on and it will go off again. It never stays on more than a couple of seconds at the longest and seems to be on and off randomely, not in any kind of loop sequence.
So, first I tried a different monitor (hp) and it comes on and immediately starts the shut down mode 3-2-1 off, just like the other one. So, it isn't a problem with the monitor.
When the computer comes on sometimes it makes it to the screen were it has the big red letters COMPAQ before going off and i press F8 to start in the safe mode- I make it into safe mode and it still does the same thing...it just turns off and the screen goes black. Then it it randomely attempts to come back on, still in safe mode. Sometimes you can get it to enter setup F1, but again it will just turn off... could it be the power supply???
What should I do?