Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: erase hard drive  (Read 3167 times)

j riley

erase hard drive
« on: November 27, 2007, 01:46:39 PM »
can  anyone  tell  me  how  to   erase  all  info  of  hard  drive  in  simple  terms  i  am  new  to  comps  and  have  downloaded  mal  and  spy  ware  i  just  want  to  start  again  thanks.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: erase hard drive
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 02:35:43 PM »
Welcome to the CH forums.

There are many sites on the WWW which can explain how to format a hard drive and reinstall an Operating System, here is just one of them.   As pointed out on this site, formatting and reinstalling should not be considered lightly.

However, in order to assist you, you must give us information about your pc both hardware and software.   Please read this.  Do you have a full genuine Operating System cd with its unique Product Key?

You must prepare well to do a complete reinstall without problems.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

roy rogers

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 09:12:35 PM »
Your computer may have come with a set of CDs or a DVD for that purpose. Read any instructions for included disks. If your HD has an installation disk that might do the job. For instance E machines completely erases your HD and reloads all your software simply by inserting it's program DVD. Maxtor HDs come with Maxblast, a program for formatting, low level formatting, and partitioning. Maxtor now belongs to seagate, 'They too come with an installation disk. For secure erasure special programs are available but that doesn't sound like your intent. These overwrite the entire HD several times to prevent any chance of data retrieval.

j riley

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 03:31:50 PM »
thanks  lads  will  post  how  i  get  on