Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what are the symptoms of a bad processor?  (Read 15252 times)

pcjoseph1974

Topic Starter

Intermediate

what are the symptoms of a bad processor?
    « on: December 02, 2007, 10:30:37 AM »
    If a processor was going bad, what would it look like?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: what are the symptoms of a bad processor?
    « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 10:45:22 AM »
    Why do you suspect the processor ? ?
    Without an identical machine to test it on it is difficult to diagnose conclusively whether it is the processor at fault or other components...
    However with a flowchart approach which we use here quite often we can at least narrow it down until a culprit is found.

Start by posting as much info on the system, OS what happened prior to this etc and we can go from there.
    List all the symptoms as well in the order they started occuring.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

pcjoseph1974

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 11:52:51 AM »
      Well first let me describe the problem, I put together a new Pc from old spare parts, but not really that old. It was runnung fine for about three weeks and then one morning I got up and the monitor displayed weird patterns of colors. I turned it off and rebooted it and it was fine untill later that night. The computer began to restart and crash untill just completly becomming non responsive. I tried a new power suppley, memory and hard drive..... nothing. The mother board is only a year old and in great condition.

Biostar p4m80-m4
      Pentium 4 2.6 northwood
      2 gig 2700
      xp sp2
      ati 2600 xt
      30gig hd
      380 watt or 500 wat ( either one is just as responsive)
      netgear wireless

Just alittle bit of additional info..... When I was first trying to put the rig together, I was trying to put an A drive into it and when I did that the computer started to wig out, basicall doing the same thing it is now. When I took it out it was fine but I had to switch the hard drive out to get the computer to respond. After doing that and reinstalling windows with out the a drive everything was great.... untill now. ????

Frankie

Apprentice
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 03:08:47 PM »
        I would recheck all your connections! Also whats specs of your old system?

pcjoseph1974

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »
          Specs on old sytem unimportant, checking connections...... seriously????

Frankie

Apprentice
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »

Well when you mix the old with the new you tend to get problems, thats why i asked about connections. I also think it maybe your graphics card or monitor, but since you know so much i'll leave it to you.
            « Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:18:28 PM by Frankie »

pcjoseph1974

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 04:30:36 PM »
              Sorry, dont get me worng, I appreciate the advise, but asking me to check the connections is like asking someone who's car died on the freeway to check the gas level. Ive done that already. Anyway... All Im really asking for is if anyone knows the symptoms of a dying processor.

Frankie

Apprentice
              • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                « Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 04:46:15 PM »
                Sorry, dont get me worng, I appreciate the advise, but asking me to check the connections is like asking someone who's car died on the freeway to check the gas level. Ive done that already. Anyway... All Im really asking for is if anyone knows the symptoms of a dying processor.

Well it depends, are you overclocking the cpu? If so turn the clock speeds down. This would apply if your computer is freezing, but you give very little away to know. What you speak about sounds like a graphics card or monitor problem.

pcjoseph1974

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 05:26:36 PM »
                  Im not overclocking, If it was a monitor problem the computer would at least boot, If it was a video card then it would not work in another computer, which it does. The only two other things it could be is the MB or the processor. The motherboard is practically new and somehow I cant believe its that. I inherited the processor and my friend says that he was having problems with the computer it was installed on. But again the computer ran fine for three weeks. Here is the deal...... The problems I'm having now I had orifinally when I tried putting in the A drive.  When I left the A drive out they went away only to reappear three weeks later. If these problems are being caused by a faulty MB, they would not just have gone away only to reappear later,.... would they? I guess it would be the same for the processor too. Im just looking at the connections between the old problems and the new problems. The only constant is the processor.

Frankie

Apprentice
                  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                    « Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 05:48:41 PM »
                    And what problems was your friend having with the cpu? or his computer? btw, if it is a graphics card problem it might work in one pc and not the other.
                    « Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:02:58 PM by Frankie »

pcjoseph1974

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 06:09:34 PM »
                      Freezes and such, how is it possible that a video card may work in one computer and not another?

Frankie

Apprentice
                      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                        « Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 06:54:30 PM »
                        Freezes and such, how is it possible that a video card may work in one computer and not another?

Depends on the specs of your computer and if your motherboard can take that card.

TonyRichens

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 07:13:28 PM »

Well when you mix the old with the new you tend to get problems, thats why i asked about connections. I also think it maybe your graphics card or monitor, but since you know so much i'll leave it to you.
                        LOL , i mix old and new all the time what has that got to do with anything .

Frankie

Apprentice
                        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
                          « Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 07:15:49 PM »
                          Sorry for trying to help.

TonyRichens

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 07:17:47 PM »
                          no no no , dude dont take me the wrong way please , i wasnt being mean.

I was just saying .